[Mb-civic] Really scary

venuetheatre at juno.com venuetheatre at juno.com
Fri Apr 15 08:44:52 PDT 2005

Planned Parenthood in Motion Newsletter
April 2005

Planned Parenthood Supporters Rally Against the "Nuclear Option"

On April 5, the Coalition for a Fair and Independent Judiciary,
a group of seven national organizations including Planned
Parenthood Federation of America (PPFA), held a rally on the
steps of the Supreme Court. At the rally the coalition delivered
more than one million petitions opposing the "nuclear option" to
Senate Minority Leader Harry Reid (D-NV).

We may soon face one of the most important legislative battles
of our time - the fight to protect our courts. Concerned that
Democrats will block President Bush's judicial nominees,
including a possible future U.S. Supreme Court nominee, the
Republican leadership is threatening to change the longstanding
rules of the Senate - a strategy that has become known as the
"nuclear option." If activists like you don't speak out and
right-wing Republicans succeed, there may no longer be a way to
stop radical, conservative judges from turning back the clock on
social justice issues that we care most about. This is likely
our first major fight on the road to a Supreme Court battle, and
we cannot afford to lose.

Speak out now>>
http://www.ppaction.org/campaign/keepfilibuster/xuiek54p566bk5

------------------

NowWhat?!: A Daily Blog on Choice Issues

Today's Trends
4.7.05

Remember when pink was the new black? I for one will never
forget. And, just a few weeks ago I read somewhere that orange
is the new pink. Does that make orange the new black, or is it
an accessory? It's all so hard to follow, but if there's a news
equivalent to this fashion metaphor, I'd say emergency
contraception (EC) is definitely the new black. It was
everywhere in the news today - some good, some bad (if not
downright ugly), and all of it interesting.

First the ugly. Read More>>
http://www.saveroe.com/blog/index.php?date=267

----------------
In the News

Culture War Hits Local Pharmacy

The culture wars have already seeped into hospices, movie
theaters, and the Super Bowl. Now, even the corner drugstore has
become a battleground. From rural Texas to Chicago, more
instances are cropping up of pharmacists refusing to fill
prescriptions for oral contraceptives and the morning-after
pill. As a result, politicians around the country are stepping
into the fray.
-- Christian Science Monitor

More>>
http://search.csmonitor.com/search_content/0408/p01s02-ussc.html

----------------

Contraception Debate Delays Nomination of FDA Chief

The nomination of Lester M. Crawford to be commissioner of the
Food and Drug Administration was put on indefinite hold
yesterday by two Democratic senators to protest the
administration's long delay in deciding whether to allow
non-prescription sales of the emergency contraceptive Plan B.
-- Washington Post

More >>
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A32378-2005Apr6.html

----------------
Hot Issues

Protect Free Speech

The U.S. Senate is considering legislation that would
drastically limit the ability of organizations like Planned
Parenthood to effectively speak out about federal officeholders,
candidates, and their positions on pressing women's rights
issues. If we allow this harmful legislation to pass, unions and
nonprofit organizations will be muzzled, while large corporate
contributors will be able to continue business as usual.

Tell your senators to oppose legislation restricting First
Amendment rights.
(http://www.ppaction.org/campaign/firstamendment2/xuiek54p566bk5)

-----------------------------
Take Action

Thumbs Down: New Health and Human Services Web Site for Parents
The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) recently
launched a Web site (www.4parents.gov) that purports to "provide
parents with the information, tools and skills they need to help
their teens make the healthiest choices," but in reality is full
of misleading and erroneous information.

Tell HHS Secretary Mike Leavitt that you are outraged at this
new ideologically based, dishonest Web site that uses the
premise of promoting good parent-child dialogue to push a biased
agenda. (http://www.ppaction.org/campaign/4parents/xuiek54p566bk5)

-----------------------------

Campaign Results

Victory for Health Care Advocates!
On March 17, the Smith-Bingaman Amendment passed by a vote of 52
in favor and 48 against! Introduced by Senators Smith (R-OR) and
Bingaman (D-NM), the amendment removed all cuts to Medicaid from
the Senate's proposed budget. This is a huge win for health care
advocates, as Medicaid is one of our country's most vital
sources of health care funding for poor women and families.
Planned Parenthood Action Network supporters sent more than
20,000 letters in support of this amendment, and we thank you
for your help.

to take action every week of the year. Become an insider today.
(http://www.ppaction.org/ppaction/52weeks.html)

------------------
Mark Your Calendars

April - National Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month
April - National Sexually Transmitted Diseases Education and
Awareness Month
April 16 - Planned Parenthood National Day of Action
April 22 - Earth Day
April 25 - First anniversary of the March for Women's Lives

Visit the web address below to tell your friends about this.
http://www.ppaction.org/network/join-forward.html?domain=support&r=Yd1yX9
K1tXbR

If you received this message from a friend, you can sign up for
the Planned Parenthood Action Network at:
http://www.ppaction.org/network/join.html?r=Yd1yX9K1tXbRE

This message was sent to venuetheatre at juno.com. To modify your email
communication preferences or update your personal profile, visit
your subscription management page at:

http://www.ppaction.org/network/smp.tcl?nkey=xuiek54p566bk5

To stop ALL email from Planned Parenthood Online, reply via
email with "remove" in the subject line, or use the following
link:

http://www.ppaction.org/network/remove-domain-direct.tcl?ctx=center&nkey=
xuiek54p566bk5