[Mb-civic] FW: Farah Pahlavi's Letter to Director-General of UNESCO

Golsorkhi grgolsorkhi at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 8 11:04:02 PDT 2005

------ Forwarded Message
From: Samii Shahla <shahla at thesamiis.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 20:23:32 -0400
Subject: Farah Pahlavi's Letter to Director-General of UNESCO

I am overjoyed that Her Majesty is reminding the world what Iran was
doing before the mullahs, and in reality what would have been a real
'dialogue of civilizations' in contrast to what the present regime in
Iran is promoting: 'monologue of lies, lies, and more lies'.

Iran va Jahan

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

  Farah Pahlavi's Letter to Director-General of UNESCO

  April 04, 2005
Farahpahlavi.org
H.I.M. Farah Pahlavi

  His Excellency Mr. Koichiro Matsuura
Director­General UNESCO
7, place de Fontenoy
  75352 Paris 07 SP
  France

Subject: Dialogue among Civilizations Meeting on Tuesday April 5, 2005
Paris
Date: April 4, 2005

Your Excellency,

On the eve of the above meeting I would like to bring to your attention
my letter of May 17, 1999 addressed to H.E. Mr. Kofi Annan regarding
the true story behind the idea of ³Dialogue among Civilizations². For
your information I am sending you herewith a copy of the said letter.

I must emphasize the fact that this idea was born in Iran in 1976.

The Iranian scholars who conceived this noble idea were loyal to Iran¹s
cultural heritage and believed in peace, tolerance and respect for
other cultures.

It is hoped that the current participants will remain faithful to those
ideals.

  Sincerely yours,

Farah Pahlavi

--------

  H.E. Mr. Kofi Annan,
Secretary-General,
The United Nations,
New York, NY. 10017
May 17, 1999

Dear Mr. Secretary-General,

Pursuant to the November 24th, 1998 General Assembly resolution 53-22,
a panel discussion on "Dialogue among Civilizations, a New Paradigm"
was held on May 6th, at Columbia University. The Islamic Republic of
Iran sponsored this event in collaboration with the University's School
of International and Public Affairs.

With the advent of the new millennium, such a "Dialogue of
Civilizations" is essential in the promotion of healthier relations and
in order to avert many ills on our planet.

I would like to bring your attention to the fact that the "Dialogue of
Civilizations" was first established in 1976, in Iran with my support
and participation. The Persian name of the organization was "Sazman
Gofte-gouye Farhangha" which literally translates as "Dialogue of
Civilizations". The objective of this organization, headed by Professor
Dariush Shaygan, was to establish a fruitful exchange between cultures
on a global scale.

We viewed this as an essential conduit for peace and understanding
among nations. As a result, the first seminar, known as "L' Impact
Planétaire de la Pensée Occidentale, rend-il possible le Dialogue des
Civilisations." was held in 1978 in Iran with the participation of
countries such as France, Japan, and Egypt. An essay was later
published in France on the subject.

It gives me pleasure to see that an idea born in Iran in 1976 is now
being revived. Hopefully there will be room for the many Iranian
scholars still faithful to their country's heritage to positively
participate and contribute in all future seminars.

Farah Pahlavi

------ End of Forwarded Message