[Mb-civic] Report Shows Bush Was AWOL

The Daily Mislead latest at daily.misleader.org
Wed Sep 8 08:08:18 PDT 2004

===============================
THE DAILY MIS-LEAD
< www.Misleader.org >
===============================

REPORT SHOWS BUSH WAS AWOL

Earlier this year, President Bush told the nation "I did my duty" in the
National Guard in 1972 when he was supposed to report for service.[1] But
according to a major new report, that is not true.

As a new examination of documents by the Boston Globe shows, "Bush fell well
short of meeting his military obligation." Twice during his Guard service -
first when he joined in May 1968, and again before he transferred out of his
unit in mid-1973 to attend Harvard Business School - Bush signed documents
pledging to meet training commitments or face a punitive call-up to active
duty. But "he didn't meet the commitments, or face the punishment, the
records show."[2]

Bush also has claimed "I did show up in Alabama"[3] in 1972 when he was
supposed to report there for duty. But as the Globe notes, "Bush's service
records do not show him logging any service in Alabama until October of that
year." Furthermore, "even that service is in doubt" as "no one has come
forward with any credible recollection of having witnessed Bush performing
guard service in Alabama or after he returned to Houston in 1973."

A new group called Texans for Truth will begin airing 0:30 second television
ads featuring a National Guardsman who in 1972 served in the very same
Alabama unit Bush was supposed to have joined. That Guardsman testifies that
he never saw Bush show up for service - a story corroborated by others. See
the ad here: http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=53728 .[4]

Sources:

1. Transcript for Feb. 8th airing on "Meet the Press", MSNBC, 2/13/04,
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=53729.
2. "Bush fell short on duty at Guard," Boston Globe, 9/08/04,
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=53730.
3. Transcript for Feb. 8th airing on "Meet the Press", MSNBC, 2/13/04,
http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=53729.
4. TexansforTruth.com, 9/04, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=53728.

Visit www.Misleader.org for more about Bush administration distortion. »