[Mb-civic] The View From on the Ground

Michael Butler michael at michaelbutler.com
Sun Sep 5 14:16:11 PDT 2004

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-op-warblogs5sep05,1,631024
9.story?coll=la-news-comment-opinions

The View From on the Ground

With American bloggers reporting on life in Iraq, the war is only a mouse
click away

 September 5, 2004

 Other wars produced poetry and novels and memoirs. But the war in Iraq has
brought a new kind of literature. In real time, on the Internet, officers
and enlisted men and women are chronicling the war on weblogs ‹ better known
as blogs. Two weeks ago, one of the most popular war bloggers, a soldier
stationed near the northern Iraqi city of Mosul who identified himself only
as CBFTW, was disciplined by the Army for violating "operational security."
His gritty postings described both the terror and boredom of war. Last week,
he removed them from his "My War" website. But the journals of many other
military bloggers remain on the Web. Here are edited excerpts from the blogs
of Americans serving with the U.S. military in Iraq.

A 'festering sore'

Lt. Col. David G. Bellon was commissioned as an officer in the Marine Corps
in 1990 after graduating from law school. He remained on active duty until
1998, then continued as a reserve officer while building a law practice in
Oceanside. In January 2003, he went to Iraq to serve in the infantry during
the invasion. He returned home in September of last year and was sent back
to Iraq in February 2004. Bellon, who is serving in the volatile Sunni
Triangle, has a wife and two children, ages 4 and 6. He hopes to be home by
Christmas. His family maintains a website,  http://www.thegreenside.com , on
which they post Bellon's letters to his father.

 Aug. 17, 2004

 My regiment has been involved in a fight outside of Fallouja for the past
week.

 On August 9th, insurgents in the city kidnapped the two Iraqi National
Guard battalion commanders within the city, subsequently killing at least
one of them. It is another clear example of the savagery of the enemy here.
The city is now without any coalition influence other than us. The local
militia that was created as a solution to the April fighting has become a
defensive army that is in collusion with the insurgents. The police are
complicit with the enemy and the city is literally run by terrorists.

 The Iraqi National Guard battalion commander who was killed was Lt. Col.
Sulaiman Hamad Ftikan. We knew him as Sulaiman. He was the closest thing to
a true patriot and leader we have found who is actually from the local
Fallouja area. He was kidnapped and murdered because he had finally gotten
his battalion to stand up to the criminals and insurgents who have had their
run of the city all these months.

 Of course his murder was not merciful. He was tortured and beaten to death.
He was so disfigured by the torture that his friends could not bear to look
at his body.

 The city has continued to be an epicenter of terror and instability. With
everything that I know, I cannot fathom a resolution of this problem that
does not include us being allowed to take the city down once and for all.
Time and space does not allow me to recount the horrible tales of torture
and murder that have taken place inside this town.

 The Marines, meanwhile, continue their heroics. I could share with you
accounts of severely wounded Sailors and Marines insisting that they can
still hold a weapon and are still "in the fight" and other lesser wounded
Marines refusing to be evacuated. There are Marines who exit friendly lines
every day and commit acts of untold bravery that would inspire you as much
as they humble me.

 The difference between now and April is that the majority of Iraqis that we
meet now ask us to enter the city. They are tired of the lawless hell that
exists inside the city and are literally willing to have us rubble it to
save it. I know it sounds strange but it is the reality here.

 We also have an entire battalion of Iraqi Special Forces soldiers who have
stepped forward. We have trained these guys and they are a different breed
of cat altogether. They don't necessarily love us but they now have a bond
with the Marines and operate jointly with them everyday. They shake their
head at the hesitancy to resolve Fallouja and are willing to fight inside
the city. It will be a very tough fight but in the end I just don't see how
we can move forward as a coalition, or Iraq as a fledgling country, while
this festering sore remains open.

'Getting settled in'

Beth is a 28-year-old lab Navy lab technician with a husband and a
1-year-old son named Cody back home. She arrived in Iraq late last month.
Her blog, "A Labrat's Journey," is at  http://www.desertdiet.blogspot.com .

 August 30, 2004

 Pretty good day

 It was pretty calm yesterday and not too bad today. We are getting settled
in and wondering when the others are coming. The group we are replacing
can't wait to leave. For a short period of time, until the turnover, we have
to double up in our rooms. The sunrise and sunsets are very pretty from
here. That is about the only beautiful thing, though. The laundry is taking
about five days to come back instead of overnight due to some people up and
quitting. Last night they had lobster and steak for dinner. Everyone was so
happy. Not quite my cup of tea, though. I ate a PowerBar. I am still leery
of the food here but hopefully that changes ‹ or I get lots of food in the
mail. We have microwaves and can openers. I need a bowl with a lid. Got the
webcam thing figured out and got to see Cody last night ‹ made me cry for
hours. He has already grown to be such a big boy, his hair is longer and he
has gained weight.

Operation Chemlight

Paul Rieckhoff enlisted in the Army Reserves upon graduating from Amherst
College in 1998. After completing an officer's training course in 2002, he
volunteered for active duty. He was sent to Iraq in 2003 and was based in
Baghdad for 10 months conducting combat operations. All 38 members of
Rieckhoff's platoon returned home safely. Now off active duty, the former
first lieutenant has started Operation Truth, a "nonprofit, nonpartisan
organization that seeks to educate the American public about the truth of
the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan from the perspective of the soldiers who
have experienced them firsthand." The following posting from Rieckhoff is
one of many on his group's website,  http://www.optruth.com .

 April 2003:

 I sit down to take yet another irregular dump on our rickety, unstable,
fly-infested "throne." A nice moment precariously situating my bum on the
remnants of a folding chair. I become aware that our building has just
reached minute 120 of our two hours of allotted electricity. Chunk!
Darkness. The generator is down today ‹ again ‹ so there is no hope of
waiting this one out. There is a lovely little waste basket of overflowing,
used toilet paper and baby-wipes next to my size 11? desert combat boots.

 Sadly, I have prepared for this ‹ knowing the grid rotation, we are not due
power for another six sweltering hours. Therefore, most of us ‹ the shrewd
ones ‹ always carry a flashlight in our cargo pockets. I have of course run
out of batteries. But I have a back-up plan. The really cunning enemies of
discomfort and inconvenience ‹ like yours truly ‹ also store a chemical
light in those deep American-made-by-the-lowest-bidder pockets. Yes, one of
those favorite little friends of soldiers and ravers worldwide ‹ the orange
chemlight!

 I crack that sucker satisfyingly as the guy getting a haircut in the next
room rants and someone elsewhere in the building stubs yet another toe on a
weapon, or a helmet, or a private. I am sitting on a hollowed-out folding
chair by orange artificial light hoping a super-sized rat doesn't decide to
improve Iraqi-American relations at this precise moment in time. And I am
strangely happy about it. They don't pay us enough for this I am sure.

 We deserve a parade for having to endure this alone.

Speak, pause, response

Sean Pearce enlisted in the Army in 1998. He served six years in the Signal
Corps as a satellite technician, with tours in Kandahar, Afghanistan, and at
Camp Victory, the main U.S. military complex near Baghdad airport. He
returned to the U.S. in September 2003. He now lives in Virginia, where he
works in communications and plans to complete his college education. He has
now married the girlfriend he writes about in this excerpt. His Iraq blog is
at  http://www.turningtables.blogspot.com .

 August 5, 2003

 Tonight I got to talk to my girlfriend via visual teleconferencing. It went
really well. I waited around until the middle of the night, and then I was
escorted into the area where all the magic happens, past giant wall-sized
television screens with maps and diagrams, past rows and rows of desks with
computers and soldiers working around the clock on the war effort, and into
the conference room, which was exactly that. I'm so used to seeing rooms and
quarters converted into conference rooms. They are set up in kitchens or
garages or boiler rooms. But this one was an honest-to-god conference room
that I'm sure was used by Saddam and all of his buddies. Now it belongs to
us, because we took it.

 As I stroll in, the family of the sergeant who went before me is still on
the giant screen. I see his wife trying desperately to keep her composure
and get her three kids out of the room where they were filmed in an orderly
fashion. Then, in the corner of the screen coming through the doorway is a
very distorted shape that the camera is trying to focus on. It walks like my
girlfriend. It's the same size as my girlfriend. And it is my girlfriend.
She giggles, and I wave and smile.

 I have to press a foot switch every time I want to speak so that the
microphone turns off. Otherwise the delay will cause a killer echo. There is
at least a 15-second delay that makes normal conversation useless. Speak.
Pause. Pause. Pause. Pause. Response. But she is there and she can hear me
and I can see her.

 She's wearing the Curious George shirt I bought her on the Universal City
Walk in L.A. It fits her perfectly, and her hair is beautiful. She's had
three hair cuts since I left, but luckily she sends me pictures, so I stay
up to date with the girlfriend fashions.

 We have this silly thing that we do. It started one night when we were at a
rave in L.A. To the beat, I say "girlfriend" while I nod my head. Then I say
"run in place," which I do to the beat. It's a sign of my affection. So
there I am, in Baghdad, Iraq, running in place in Saddam's conference room
so that my girlfriend can watch me on the other side of the Earth.

 I showed her my muscles, my big ol' arms that are twice the size as when I
left. She was impressed ‹ or she at least faked it for me. She's a good
woman.

 I left hating this place more then ever, but also feeling a bit more
relaxed. I made it to my cot, and I sweated off into sleep. This is almost
over.

The brave, the spider-men

Sean Dustman is a Navy medical corpsman who served for seven years during
the 1990s, then reenlisted after Sept. 11 because he "realized my talents
were going to waste, and I wanted to make a difference." He arrived in Iraq
in March and returned home late last month. His blog can be found at
http://www.docinthebox.blogspot.com

 June 19, 2004

 It's surprising how much wildlife we've run into. Every night we find a
bigger camel spider, and the Marines gather around and say "Wow, that's the
biggest one I've ever seen," which leads to other sorts of fights. They'll
catch scorpions and other bugs and toss them in. They tossed a mouse in once
and you could hear the cheering from hundreds of yards away. Marines are
just big kids. Take them to a body of water, and they'll be happy skipping
stones for hours; give them a magnifying glass, they'll find an ant hole. If
they invade your country, expect silly stuff to be written on all the walls.
We've run into snakes both venomous and non. I'm glad I was the only one
that spotted the non-venomous one. I took its picture and let it go on it's
way. I'm not much into killing things. Things I've found out? Scorpions do
glow under black light. Camel spiders have ten legs and two eyes and are not
even related to true spiders. And don't ever use a k-bar knife alone to kill
a venomous snake.

'To do right by Allah"

Nicholas J. Cademartori is a 22-year-old infantryman with the Army's 1st
Infantry Division. After four years in the National Guard, he asked to be
released from his Guard contract so he could join the regular Army. He has
been in Iraq since March. His blog can be found at
http://www.thequestingcat.com .

 May 7 and May 24, 2004

 One thing I always notice about old war movies is that soldiers always
attach a slang word to their enemy that has some negative connotations. In
WWI and II, it was Kraut. Vietnam, it was the gooks. Out here, it is
"Hadji," like in the old Jonny Quest cartoons. All people out here are
Hadji. No malice to it: It is just what we call them.

 The other day, a sergeant and I were told to take our truck and go and pull
security. This is generally a very dull job (thank god). So we went out and
were just sitting peacefully when we saw a middle aged Iraqi farmer in his
field waving to us. Curious, I went to investigate while my buddy covered me
with the 50 cal.

 When I reached his field it became obvious that the man did not speak
English. He was tall and thin, and smiled continuously. He had a small plot
of land with a little shack off in the corner of the fields, and a slow
shallow stream ran down the middle for irrigation. You could tell that this
was this man's life, his entire livelihood.

 He held a tomato out to me, it was not entirely ripe, and a little
misshapen, but it appeared entirely edible. I took it, since it is rude here
to refuse food. He seemed ecstatic about this, and hurriedly began rooting
through his fields for ripe tomatoes.

 Hadji vendors love to give you the product first, let you take a few bites,
then give you the price. I took out all the money I had ‹ one quarter ‹ and
offered it to him in exchange for five or six tomatoes, anything not to seem
rude. He pushed aside my meager offering and offered me an eggplant.

 Once I realized he didn't want money, I was very curious what he was doing.
I mean, was this some kind of tribute he would pay to Iraqi soldiers under
Saddam? Was he trying to bribe me to do something for him? He signed that he
wanted me to try the tomato, and pointed to the brook and made washing
gestures. I washed myself a little and the tomato, then gave it a shot,
eating it like it was an apple. It was delicious.

 By this point he had collected up quite a batch of tomatoes and an eggplant
in his robe, and he wanted to take them over to my truck for my buddy. I
asked if he was sure he didn't want any money. He shook his head and pointed
up. "For Allah?" I said, and he nodded and said "Allah." He was doing it to
be a good man. To do right by Allah. By this simple act, he touched me
deeply. He gave me faith in the people of Iraq. He let me know that what we
have done here is appreciated, and that these people and I are not so far
apart.

 I will never believe that my enemy is unredeemable. I will never believe
that all Iraqis are the enemy. But I can have no faith in man untested, and
truth be told, I have never gotten a truly unselfish vibe from anyone in
this country no matter where I've been. They want desperately to take
advantage of soldiers' paychecks. But this man living in a shack off the
main road has become the first Iraqi I have met since coming here who
didn't. And I hope to God that we don't let him down.

Daddy & son

Army Pfc. Brian McGovern ( http://www.brian.mcgovernville.com  ) has been
serving as a paralegal near Baghdad since June. His first child, Vincent,
was born July 9. McGovern will see him for the first time this week, when he
starts a 15-day leave.

 July 27, 2004

 I heard "Cat's in the Cradle" this afternoon, the song by Harry Chapin.
It's that song that talks about how a guy had a kid and put off spending
time with him. Eventually, the kid grows up to be just like him, never
finding the time to hang out and have a good time as father and son.

 One of the things that we had planned to do was, every Saturday I would let
my wife sleep in and wheel the baby in the stroller up to the coffee shop
and have some daddy & son bonding time. It's kinda sappy, but it tore me up
to hear that song today, because I'm thinking, "But I would spend time with
my son if I could! I promise!" I was raised by some great parents. My dad
had (still has, in fact) a job where he'd have to go out of town quite a
bit, but never for more than a few days. My favorite childhood memories were
of Saturdays, when my dad and I would go do stuff.

 I want to be the kind of father that my dad has been to me. There are so
many guys who get women pregnant and just take off. And here I am, wanting
nothing more than to be there, and can't.

Code normal

Koka Sexton, who was a team leader in the 341st Military Police Company from
San Jose, enlisted in the Army Reserves because he believes "that everyone
should do something to support their country." He got his call to go to Iraq
on Feb. 14, 2003, and "by June 1 was in the desert realizing that the Army
Reserves was more than one weekend a month." He posted the following to his
blog, "A Walk Through the Valley of the Shadow of
Death,"(www.kokasexton.com) after arriving back home earlier this summer.

 August 1, 2004

 Getting back to feeling normal is harder than it sounds. What is normal? I
can barely remember what my life was like before I left for Iraq. I have
memories of loved ones and friends that carried me through the hard times
overseas but other than that, most of pre-war life is a blur. I find myself
walking through the city waiting for the next gun shot or explosion. Driving
a car is still an adventure. For no reason whatsoever I have moments where I
feel like a coiled spring ready to snap. Tension building up in every muscle
preparing for the chance to explode on what stands in my way. Neurotic?
Maybe.

 I miss my rifle and the security that it gave me when I was walking through
unknown areas. I knew in Iraq that my life was in my hands. As long as I was
prepared for the attack, I had a chance to get them before they got me. I'm
always thinking about the "what if" now, because in Iraq preparing for the
"what if" made me better able to deal with the next roadside bomb or rocket
being fired in my direction. Being prepared could make the difference
between life and death. Not that I have the same concerns now that I am
home, but my mind races with other concerns of safety.

 One day at a time, I keep telling myself. Then I laugh. Maybe I should make
a personal threat indicator that I carry in my pocket and update it as I
feel necessary. Today, I feel Orange.

If you want other stories on this topic, search the Archives at
latimes.com/archives.

Article licensing and reprint options

 Copyright 2004 Los Angeles Times