[Mb-civic] Bush Misleads on Flu Vaccine

The Daily Mislead latest at daily.misleader.org
Mon Oct 18 10:51:16 PDT 2004

===============================
THE DAILY MIS-LEAD
< www.Misleader.org >
===============================

BUSH MISLEADS ON FLU VACCINE

President Bush has tried to avoid any responsibility for the flu vaccine shortage by making misleading statements. During the presidential debate last Wednesday, President Bush said the problem was that "we relied upon a company out of England."[1] That isn't true. Chiron Corp., the company whose vaccine plant was contaminated, is a California company - subject to regulation by the U.S. government - that operates a factory in England.[2]

During the debate, President Bush also said, "we took the right action and didn't allow contaminated medicine into our country."[3] That isn't true either. It was the British authorities who, after inspecting the plant, revoked the factory's license on October 5th.[4]

In June 2003, the United States Food and Drug Administration inspected the Chiron plant.[5] Initially, the FDA found that the plant was contaminated with bacteria but later announced, "the problems were corrected to their satisfaction," and allowed the plant to continue to operate.[6]

Sources:

1. "Transcript of Debate Between Bush and Kerry, With Domestic Policy the Topic," New York Times, 10/13/04, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=63308.
2. "Both candidates stretched facts on key issues," Philadelphia Inquirer, 10/14/04, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=63309.
3. "Transcript of Debate Between Bush and Kerry, With Domestic Policy the Topic," New York Times, 10/13/04, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=63308.
4. "With Few Suppliers of Flu Shots, Shortage Was Long in Making," New York Times, 10/17/04, http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=63310.
5. Ibid., http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=63310 .
6. Ibid., http://daily.misleader.org/ctt.asp?u=1136375&l=63310 .

CORRECTION:  In the 10/15/04 Misleader, it was incorrectly stated that the last
Presidential debate was on Thursday. It was on Wednesday.

Visit www.Misleader.org for more about Bush Administration distortion.