[Mb-civic] Bush lies during last debate

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Sat Oct 16 21:07:15 PDT 2004

Lies Bush Told During Wednesday's Debate
Democrats.com, 10/14/04

BUSH LIE - 'As a result of ...ridding the Taliban out of Afghanistan, the
Afghan people had elections...'
FACT - The US has NOT rid Afghanistan of the Taliban. They are very much
still in Afghanistan, and have posed a major threat both to the Afghanistan
government and to the recent elections:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=1512&ncid=731&e=2&u=/
afp/20040916/wl_afp/afghanistan_vote_attacks

BUSH LIE - 'Gosh, I just don't think I ever said I'm not worried about
Osama bin Laden. It's kind of one of those exaggerations.'
FACT - Transcript of Bush press conference, March 13, 2003: Q: Mr.
President, in your speeches now, you rarely talk or mention Osama bin
Laden. Why is that? [...] BUSH: ... I don't know where he is. Nor -- you know,
I just don't spend that much time on him really... I truly am not that concerned
about him. "
http://www.buzzflash.com/contributors/04/10/con04436.html

BUSH LIE - 'Most of the tax cuts went to low- and middle-income '
FACT - Tables of US tax data compiled by the Tax Policy Center shows that
the smallest proportion or the tax cuts, in terms of after tax change in
income, went to Americans making less than $75,000 per year, while the
lions share went to those making over $500,000 per year.
http://www.taxpolicycenter.org/TaxModel/tmdb/TMTemplate.cfm?DocID=458
&topic2ID=40&topic3ID=57

BUSH LIE - ''You've got more money in your pocket as a result of the
tax relief we passed. A family of four making $40,000 received about
$1,700 in tax relief.'
FACT - Since 2001, because infation has risen faster than salaries, the
average "spending power" income for American workers fell by 1.7%. So
take off $680 per year for your family of 4's $40,000.
http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/pr_2004_0614.pdf

BUSH LIE - 'Vaccine manufacturers are worried about getting sued,
and therefore they have backed off from providing this kind of vaccine.'
FACT - Vaccine makers are protected from all vaccine lawsuits except those
in which fraud and intentional wrongdoing are shown. ."Vaccine
manufacturers and others are sheltered from product liability lawsuits by a
special 1986 act of Congress. (See the US Code 42 USC 300aa for details.)
http://assembler.law.cornell.edu/uscode/search/display.html?terms=vaccine
%20liability%20&url=/uscode/html/uscode42/usc_sec_42_00000300--aa023-
.html

BUSH LIE - 'Three-quarters of Al Qaida leaders have been brought to
justice.'
FACT - The absence of any explanation [for this estimate] as well as the
timing, prompted some counterterrorism experts to deride the figure as
"meaningless" and predict the revision could fuel allegations that the
administration is massaging terrorism data for political purposes.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5945061/site/newsweek

BUSH LIE - 'Veterans are getting very good health care under my
administration.'
FACT - In an hour-long "Primetime Thursday" investigation, Diane Sawyer
uncovers disturbing new information about quality of care and questionable
management practices at some of America's veterans' hospitals.
http://www.vvaindiana.org/News/hidden04-07-04.html

-----

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list, option D
(up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options (option A -

Action is the antidote to despair.  ----Joan Baez