[Mb-civic] septics abroad

Ginger Baker jabaka at futurenet.co.za
Wed Oct 13 00:56:58 PDT 2004

bear
.......most of you guys seem very confused about why septics [septic tank=yank] are so disliked...it takes a european to see things clearly here...1. restaurants. all europeans when eating out talk very quietly amongst their group so as not to disturb other diners...septics [not all, but certainly a very large majority] yell at each other across the table and the whole restaurant is treated to their whole conversation...this is considered the height of bad manners but though they receive offended looks they continue to shout at each other unaware of their bad manners or the annoyance they cause other diners..2. dress code...in most good hotels peole who frequent the lobby all are expected to dress well, again, no written rules, it is taken for granted...i remember staying in a posh hotel in japan, everyone seated in the lobby area were decently dressed, arrival of a party of septics wearing national dress, shorts, tee shirts and sneakers [ one was wearing bright green skimpy running shorts below which stretched a pair of skinny hairy legs all the way down to the sneakers]. the looks passing among the well dressed occupants of the lobby were amazing, yet, once again, the septics were completely unaware of the spectacle they presented....i strongly suspect that this "dress code" caused many problems in iraq before the war..a group of weapons inspectors arrived at the ministry of agriculture in iraq, many of them wearing septic national dress...though they had an appointment they were refused entry. "they're hiding something!!" declared the septics..no, no, you see in most countries, if you visit a government building you do so appropriately dressed...it's called respect.....everyone has stated that immediately after 911 there was a whole lot of sympathy for the u.s.a. [that ww3 destroyed]..in fact there was a lot less sympathy than presumed....americans all cried out for sympathy which all the foreign politicians poured on them soothingly. however, just take the case in the u.k. among the working class [i'm proud to come from this section of british society] here there was little or no sympathy whatsoever "what about the i.r.a?" most people voiced "the bloody yanks have been financing, arming, supporting and harbouring them for years...now they want sympathy??" ah, my dears, i do not hate americans [as i have been accused of by several people...some of my dearest friends are septics] but i see very clearly why they are so generally disliked. they expect admiration from "lesser" peoples declaring we're americans, we're the most powerful country on earth and we're the best.....that's about it folks madbaker.