[Mb-civic] Ex-Gen.: U.S. Staying 10 Years in Iraq

Cheeseburger maxfury at granderiver.net
Sat Oct 9 02:45:45 PDT 2004

Ex-Gen.: U.S. Staying 10 Years in Iraq

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/world/wire/sns-ap-brf-iraq-general,0,1296272.story?coll=sns-ap-world-headlines

Iraq will need at least a decade to become stable enough for the U.S.
military to withdraw, said a retired general who commanded the air campaign
in the 1991 Gulf War.

Retired Air Force Gen. Chuck Horner said Thursday the 10-year estimate was
based on how long it took to rid Germany of Nazis after World War II.

"Every time we train 10 Iraqis, we can pull out one GI," he told the World
Affairs Council of the Florida Palm Beaches. "We should have never disarmed
the Iraqi army," he said before his speech.

President Bush has refused to offer a timetable for bringing home some
140,000 U.S. troops in Iraq. He has said setting a deadline would let
insurgents wait out the U.S.-led coalition. Democratic challenger Sen. John
Kerry has said some troops could begin coming home within six months of his
being in office.

Horner did not criticize the Bush administration directly, but said the
results of the war in Iraq have been a "mixed bag."

"I've learned not to be for or against war," he said. "War is a terrible
thing that should always be a last resort."

Cheeseburger

- Where has the sparrow gone now that I need its song.