[Mb-civic]      My Son, a United States Marine

Michael Butler michael at michaelbutler.com
Thu Oct 7 19:15:16 PDT 2004

    Go to Original

    My Son, a United States Marine
    By Della T. Austin
    t r u t h o u t | Letter

     Thursday 07 October 2004

     I am writing this in hope that it will open some eyes, enrage, and
disgust everyone that reads it. I am a PROUD mother of a U.S. Marine. My
eyes have been opened and I am now enraged and disgusted with "OUR
GOVERNMENT! My son is now in Iraq. Before he left Camp LeJuene, my side of
the family and his wife had to get money together because my son had to
spend over $300 to buy things he was "REQUIRED" to have in his gear. If he
were missing one thing, he would not have been allowed to come home on his
Block Leave to see his family before being deployed to Iraq! Almost $100 of
this money had to be spent on a third set of "new and improved" Digital
Cammies. He was lucky! He had been issued one set and had already bought a
second set. Some of the Marines were not even issued one set so they spent
almost $300 on just their Cammies. Money is being deducted from their pay
for "equipment". My son has never really been sure WHAT equipment, but he
paid for it.

     I was enraged when I found out that the Flack Jacket (their bullet
proof vests) were the woodland version, the ones that are supposed to blend
in with TREES! No one in Sierra Battery was issued Desert Flack Jackets!
These marines will look like a group of trees in the middle of the desert!

     Soon after my son arrived in Kuwait, his eyes were hurting so bad from
the dust and sand in the air that he could hardly stand to blink. He noticed
some Marines were wearing eye-protectors. He asked where they had gotten
them. A Marine told him that he was "ISSUED" a pair. Sierra Battery was NOT
issued any! My son had to spend another $100 at the PX to buy himself a pair
TO PROTECT HIS EYES!! Wouldn¹t you think that if the soldiers need their
eyes protected in the environment our government is sending them into, that
the military would make sure to issue a pair to every single soldier?! HOW
DARE THEY!!!

     President Bush said we "must support our military personnel." I did not
know he meant literally! Support with money to buy equipment they MUST have
because it is required or needed to protect their health, eyes, and for
their VERY LIVES!! What in the hell is $137 BILLION paying for? The new
rifles they were supposed to be issued were not. Some military personnel do
have the new rifles that have been modified for the desert conditions. NOT
MY SON! How many of our sons, daughters, husbands, and wives are in this
situation? Do we need to buy their rifles also??

     Support our Military? Why is the government not fully supporting and
protecting our Military? Issue everything they need or do not send them
until they have it! I was not fortunate enough to have been born RICH. I
have to scrounge to help my son. My family, his wife, and her family got
together to help my son purchase everything he was "required" to have. I
have met other Marines and their families who are in the same situation.
Apparently our "Commander and Chief" meant SEND YOUR MONEY TO SUPPORT YOUR
CHILDREN AND RELATIVES, because the government is unable to do so. This
administration is NOT PUTTING THEIR MONEY WHERE THEIR MOUTH IS!!

     This is just one reason why I will vote for Senator Kerry! I believe
that under his command, all or our Military personnel will be treated fairly
and equally. I also believe that he will have a PLAN to bring ALL our
children home! I also support Senator Kerry because I believe if the need
arises to call again on our Military, President Kerry will not send our
children into situations without everything they need to protect themselves
and their lives!

     I sent my letter to John Kerry but I also sent it to the following
people. President George W. Bush, Representative Robert S. Rangel/Committee
on Armed Services, Senator John Warner/Committee on Armed Services,
Representative Robin Hayes, and Senator Elizabeth Dole. The only people who
cared enough to read my letter and respond was John Kerry¹s office. I wonder
why no one else cared!

     Della T. Austin
    (PMM) Proud Marine MOM of:
    Lance Corporal Moore
    2nd Marine Division

  -------

   Jump to TO Features for Friday October 8, 2004

 © Copyright 2004 by TruthOut.org