[Mb-civic] FW: Iran makes uranium breakthrough

Golsorkhi grgolsorkhi at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 6 12:08:35 PDT 2004

------ Forwarded Message
From: Shahla Samii <shahla at thesamiis.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:36:49 -0400
Subject: Iran makes uranium breakthrough

BBC New
10/06/04

  Iran makes uranium breakthrough

  Iran has admitted processing several tonnes of raw "yellowcake"
uranium, a key stage in the development of weapons-grade nuclear
material.

  The country's uranium conversion plant at Isfahan plans to convert a
total of 37 tonnes of uranium, which could be enriched into five atomic
bombs.

  The International Atomic Energy Authority (IAEA) has demanded Iran
stop work on uranium enrichment technology.

  President Mohammad Khatami has insisted that Iran's nuclear policy is
peaceful.

  The Iranian delegate to the IAEA, Hossein Mousavian, said that a few
tonnes of raw uranium had been converted into a gas, uranium
hexafluoride.

  'Experimental process'

  The conversion process yields a volume of gas similar to the original
amount of uranium.

  The resulting gas can then be spun in centrifuges to produce weapon or
fuel-grade uranium.

  It is our duty and right to use this nuclear energy for peaceful
purposes.
   Iranian President
  Mohammad Khatami

  Mr Mousavian described the conversion as an "experimental process",
and insisted that the IAEA was monitoring Iranian activities very
closely.

  "Out of the 37 tonnes of yellowcake, a few tonnes has been used and
converted.

  "Each milligram of the used yellowcake (is) under the IAEA's watch and
supervision."

  In September, the IAEA passed a resolution demanding that Iran freeze
all programmes and plans to develop the capability to enrich uranium.

  The resolution included a prohibition on the development of "feed
material" for centrifuges, such as uranium hexafluoride.

  The United States and Israel have both accused Iran of furthering its
nuclear programme in an effort to develop nuclear weapons.

  Speaking in the Sudanese capital, Khartoum, President Khatami denied
the allegation.

  "We will continue our co-operation with the IAEA, but at the same time
we will not subdue ourselves or our nuclear programme because of
foreign pressure," he said.

  "It is our duty and right to use this nuclear energy for peaceful
purposes, and I'd like to assure the international community that we
will not go to the extent of producing nuclear weapons."
---

  Story from BBC NEWS:

  Published: 2004/10/06 17:04:02 GMT

  © BBC MMIV