[Mb-civic] EDITORIAL Now They Tell Us LATimes

Michael Butler michael at michaelbutler.com
Wed Oct 6 11:47:30 PDT 2004

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/editorials/la-ed-truth6oct06.story

EDITORIAL

Now They Tell Us

 October 6, 2004

 Remember that Jim Carrey movie in which he plays a lawyer who can't help
but tell the truth, and it keeps getting him in trouble? On Monday, a
similar affliction seemed to have struck two central architects of the Bush
administration's Iraq policy.

 Addressing the Council on Foreign Relations, Defense Secretary Donald H.
Rumsfeld veered starkly off message when asked about the alleged ties
between Al Qaeda and Saddam Hussein. "To my knowledge, I have not seen any
strong, hard evidence that links the two," he said, countering the White
House's much discredited story.

 Elsewhere on this day of refreshing candor, L. Paul Bremer III, President
Bush's proconsul in Iraq until late July, conceded that "we never had enough
troops on the ground" in Iraq, and that the U.S. erred gravely in not
quelling the looting and violence that swept the country last year. In a
little-noticed speech last month, Bremer said he "should have been even more
insistent" when his advice on troops was rejected.

 Both men hastened to spin their truths, to show they are loyal team
players. But what this administration suffers from is too much blind loyalty
and not enough probing skepticism from high officials.

 The president and his national security advisor, Condoleezza Rice, continue
to show an unflattering loyalty to a version of the truth devoid of any
grays. For example, Rice said in September 2002 that aluminum tubes sought
by Iraq were "only really suited for nuclear weapons programs, centrifuge
programs." But new reports in the New York Times argue that key intelligence
relating to Iraq's nuclear program was known to be questionable when it was
written. At the time, the Energy Department found basic errors in the CIA
tube-related analysis, and, on Sunday, Rice was reduced to pleading
ignorance, admitting she didn't know at the time what the "dispute" over the
tubes was about. Even Porter Goss, the new CIA chief, acknowledges that some
administration arguments for war appeared overstated.

 Bush lamely said during his debate with Sen. John Kerry that "the
intelligence I looked at was the same intelligence my opponent looked at."
That's hard to swallow, given the resources of the White House. Then again,
given what Bremer, Rumsfeld and even Rice have said in the last few days,
how much was Bush not told?

 Monday's unexpected burst of candor is handy at this point mostly for "I
told you so" score-settling. It can't undo Iraq's continued violence and
chaos. Unfortunately, some things are not much better late than never.

If you want other stories on this topic, search the Archives at
latimes.com/archives.

Article licensing and reprint options

 Copyright 2004 Los Angeles Times