[Mb-civic] Ohio tally fit for Ukraine

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 30 21:24:10 PST 2004

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/col/jgonzalez/
Ohio tally fit for Ukraine
Voter fraud in the Ukraine? Give me a break.
It has been a month now and we still don't have a clear count
of the votes for our own presidential race from the state of
Ohio.
For those who may have forgotten, Ohio supposedly assured
George W. Bush a second term in the White House - only the
most important job on the planet.
The morning after the election, we were told Bush was ahead
of John Kerry in that state's unofficial count by 139,000 votes,
or 2.5%.
At the time there were 155,000 uncounted provisional ballots
and an unknown number of overseas ballots, but Kerry
concluded they would not produce enough of a margin to
erase his deficit, so he promptly conceded.
At the same time, given the bitter Democratic memories of the
2000 Florida fiasco, he assured his supporters he would fight
to have every vote properly counted this time.
Within a few days, other problems began to show up in Ohio's
preliminary tally.
We learned, for example, that an additional 93,000 voters had
gone to the polls yet machines had registered no preference of
theirs for President. Only a manual recount can tell us for sure
what happened to those 93,000 ballots.
Then, red-faced election officials in Franklin County admitted
a computer error on Election Night had tallied 4,258 votes for
Bush in a precinct where only 638 people voted. That
correction alone will drop Bush's margin by 3,620.
And now Daily News reporter Larry Cohler-Esses and I have
uncovered some more unusual vote totals, this time in black
neighborhoods of Cleveland. Those results are from the
precinct-by-precinct tallies released by the Cuyahoga County
Board of Elections, where Cleveland is located.
In the 4th Ward on Cleveland's East Side, for example, two
fringe presidential candidates did surprisingly well.
In precinct 4F, located at Benedictine High School on Martin
Luther King Jr. Drive, Kerry received 290 votes, Bush 21 and
Michael Peroutka, candidate of the ultra-conservative anti-
immigrant Constitutional Party, an amazing 215 votes!
That many black votes for Peroutka is about as likely as all
those Jewish votes for Buchanan in Florida's Palm Beach
County in 2000.
In precinct 4N, also at Benedictine High School, the tally was
Kerry 318, Bush 21, and Libertarian Party candidate Michael
Badnarik 163.
Back in 2000, the combined third-party votes in those two
precincts - including the Nader vote - was 8. Cuyahoga, like
most of Ohio's 88 counties, uses punch-card balloting.
"That's terrible, I can't believe it," said City Councilman
Kenneth Johnson, who has represented the 4th Ward since
1980. "It's obviously a malfunction with the machines."
But Peroutka and Badnarik polled unusually well in a few
other black precincts. In the 8th Ward's G precinct at Cory
United Methodist Church, for instance, Badnarik tallied 51
votes - nearly three times better than Bush's 19. And in I
precinct at the same church, Peroutka was the choice on 27
ballots, three times more than Bush's 8. In 2000, independent
candidates received 9 votes from both precincts.
The same pattern showed up in 10 Cleveland precincts in
which Badnarik and Peroutka received nearly 700 votes
between them.
In virtually all those precincts, Kerry's vote was lower than Al
Gore's in 2000, even though there was a record turnout in the
black community this time, and even though blacks voted
overwhelmingly for Kerry.
If this same pattern held true in other cities around Ohio, then
quite possibly thousands of votes meant for Kerry somehow
ended up in the tallies of the two independent candidates. So
far, however, precinct-by-precinct results have not been
posted by boards of elections in other counties, but by
Thursday all official results are due.
On Monday, Secretary of State Kenneth Blackwell will certify
Ohio's results and then a manual recount will be requested by
the Green and Libertarian parties.
The Badnarik and Peroutka surge was not the only unusual
occurrence in Cleveland.
Also unusual was the drop in the Democratic vote in scores of
precincts compared to 2000. But more on that next time.

Originally published on November 30, 2004

------

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

Action is the antidote to despair.  ----Joan Baez