[Mb-civic] Thanks to U.S., Monsanto and co. owns Iraq farmers

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 29 21:22:55 PST 2004

Iraqi Farmers Aren't Celebrating World Food Day
Nov 11, 2004

As part of sweeping "economic restructuring" implemented by the
Bush Administration in Iraq, Iraqi farmers will no longer be permitted
to save their seeds. Instead, they will be forced to buy seeds from
US corporations -- which can include seeds the Iraqis themselves
developed over hundreds of years. That is because in recent years,
transnational corporations have patented and now own many seed
varieties originated or developed by indigenous peoples. In a short
time, Iraq will be living under the new American credo: Pay
Monsanto, or starve.

 When the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO) celebrated
biodiversity on World Food Day on October 16, Iraqi farmers were
mourning its loss.

A new report [1] by GRAIN and Focus on the Global South has
found that new legislation in Iraq has been carefully put in place by
the US that prevents farmers from saving their seeds and effectively
hands over the seed market to transnational corporations. This is a
disastrous turn of events for Iraqi farmers, biodiversity and the
country's food security. While political sovereignty remains an
illusion, food sovereignty for the Iraqi people has been made near
impossible by these new regulations.

"The US has been imposing patents on life around the world
through trade deals. In this case, they invaded the country first, then
imposed their patents. This is both immoral and unacceptable", said
Shalini Bhutani, one of the report's authors.

The new law in question [2] heralds the entry into Iraqi law of
patents on life forms - this first one affecting plants and seeds. This
law fits in neatly into the US vision of Iraqi agriculture in the future -
that of an industrial agricultural system dependent on large
corporations providing inputs and seeds.
In 2002, FAO estimated that 97 percent of Iraqi farmers used saved
seed from their own stocks from last year's harvest or purchased
from local markets. When the new law - on plant variety protection
(PVP) - is put into effect, seed saving will be illegal and the market
will only offer proprietary "PVP-protected" planting material
"invented" by transnational agribusiness corporations. The new law
totally ignores all the contributions Iraqi farmers have made to
development of important crops like wheat, barley, date and pulses.
Its consequences are the loss of farmers' freedoms and a grave
threat to food sovereignty in Iraq. In this way, the US has declared a
new war against the Iraqi farmer.

"If the FAO is celebrating 'Biodiversity for Food Security' this year, it
needs to demonstrate some real commitment", says Henk
Hobbelink of GRAIN, pointing out that the FAO has recently been
cosying up with industry and offering support for genetic engineering
[3]. "Most importantly, the FAO must recognise that biodiversity-rich
farming and industry-led agriculture are worlds apart, and that
industrial agriculture is one of the leading causes of the catastrophic
decline in agricultural biodiversity that we have witnessed in recent
decades. The FAO cannot hope to embrace biodiversity while
holding industry's hand", he added.

FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT:

>From GRAIN Shalini Bhutani in India [Tel: +91 11 243 15 168 (work)
or +91 98 104 33 076 (cell)] or Alexis Vaughan in United Kingdom
[Tel: +44 79 74 39 34 87 (mobile)]

>From Focus on the Global South Herbert Docena in Philippines
[Tel:+63 2 972 382 3804]

NOTES

[1] Visit http://www.grain.org/articles/?id=6. GRAIN and Focus'
report is entitled "Iraq's new patent law: a declaration of war against
farmers". Against the grain is a series of short opinion pieces on
recent trends and developments in the issues that GRAIN works on.
This one has been produced collaboratively with Focus on the
Global South.

[2] Patent, Industrial Design, Undisclosed Information, Integrated
Circuits and Plant Variety Law of 2004, CPA Order No. 81, 26 April
2004,
http://www.iraqcoalition.org/regulations/20040426_CPAORD_81_Pa
tents_Law.pdf

[3] GRAIN, "FAO declares war on farmers, not hunger", New from
Grain, 16 June 2004, http://www.grain.org/front/?id=24

source: http://www.grain.org/nfg/?id=253 16oct04

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

Action is the antidote to despair.  ----Joan Baez