[Mb-civic] ...

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Mon Nov 29 11:52:51 PST 2004

Lyle:

Blessings and Peace.  Forgive me for not responding sooner.

Jesus did not make any specific comment on homosexuality.  However, although Jesus is unquestionably the primary authority (vis-a-vis His actions, words and ministry), He is not the sole source of Christian morals and ethics.  Both Paul and the apostles and disciples have their place as well.

In this regard, Paul most certainly said something.  At Romans 1:26-27, Paul says: "For even their women exchanged the natural use for what is against nature.  [N.B.: This gives the lie to the idea that Scripture condemns only male homosexuality, and says nothing about lesbians.]  Likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust for one another, men with men committing what is shameful [N.B. "shame" is caused by "sin"], and receiving in themselves the penalty of their error which was due."

Note that the last phrase indicates that homosexuals were either exclusively or far more susceptible to certain diseases ("receiving in themselves the penalty") as a result of their "unseemly" actions.  This Scriptural passage was "revivified" when the AIDS scourge began, since, although it eventually spread to heterosexuals [N.B. to rich haase: as a result of bisexuality...], it began its pandemic odyssey in the gay community.

In addition, in his Epistle to the Ephesians, Paul states: "Therefore be imitators of God as dear children.  And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us...But fornication and all uncleanness or covetousness, let it not even be named among you, as is fitting for saints.  Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor coarse jesting [i.e., sexual jokes and innuendo], which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks.  For this you know, that no fornicator, unclean person [N.B. in some translations, "homosexual"], nor covetous man...has any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and God." (Emphasis mine.)

Paul's words are pretty specific in both cases.

As for Jesus, there is in fact something we can learn from Him re homosexuality.  As quick background, the five sources of Christian morals and ethics (and applying them to everyday life, both personal and other), are, in order: (i) did Jesus do anything with respect to that issue (did He take an action), (ii) did Jesus say anything with respect to that issue (was it within His preached ministry), (iii) if He neither did nor said anything, can anything be "reasonably inferred" from what He did do or say, (iv), if Jesus neither did nor said anything, and nothing can be reasonably inferred, what did Paul and/or the apostles and disciples do or say with respect to that issue, (v) if nothing can be found in the NT, what does the OT say about that issue.

Re homosexuality, Jesus neither did nor said anything specific.  However, there is something we can "reasonably infer" from something He did do and say.

We all know the story of the adulteress about to be stoned.  Jesus famously said to her accusers, "He who is without sin, let him cast the first stone."  What most people forget is what came after.  He asks her "Where are thy accusers?"  She says, "They are not here."  He says, "Neither do I condemn thee.  Now go, and sin no more."

Note that: He does not condemn her, but He tells her quite directly: "sin no more."  That is, He does not expect her to "remain in sin" having been forgiven directly by Him.

Given that homosexuality was an "equal" sin to adultery at that time - i.e., both were punishable by stoning - if we replace the adulteress with a homosexual (man or woman), we can reasonably infer that Jesus would have done and said the same things: "Neither do I condemn thee.  Now go, and sin no more."

Most people - even "good Christians" - often miss the not-so-subtle difference here.  On the one hand, Jesus does not judge or condemn her: He did not come to judge or condemn, and we, as Christians, are expected to forgive - and love - just as He did.  However, this does not mean that He expects sinners to "remain in sin" once they have been forgiven.  Yes, He knows we are "flesh," and therefore weak.  He is also aware that "all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."  And He probably knows that the adulteress might indeed "give in" to the weakness of the flesh and get into another adulterous relationship.  But He has told her that He expects her not to: "Go, and sin no more."  What He has done is to replace the fear of external condemnation (and possible death by stoning) with an internal "moral compass" that will prevent her from going back to her old lifestyle of adultery.

Thus, it is possible for God and Christ to love homosexuals - and, indeed, all sinners - without regard for their sin, during their temporal lives.  However, when it comes to "inheriting the kingdom of God and Christ" - i.e., the soul's eternal life - "remaining in sin" will prevent that...

According to Scripture...

Peace.