[Mb-civic] A War Crime in Real Time & License to Kill

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Sat Nov 27 15:43:19 PST 2004

November 15, 2004
A War Crime in Real Time Obliterating
Fallujah By FRANCIS A. BOYLE
The obliteration of Fallujah continues apace. Article 6(b)
of the 1945 Nuremberg Charter defines a Nuremberg War
Crime in relevant part as the ". . . wanton destruction of
cities, towns or villages. . ." According to this definitive
definition, the Bush Jr. administration's destruction of
Fallujah constitutes a war crime for which Nazis were tried
and executed. There is nothing surprising about that.
Since the Bush Jr. administration's installation in power by
the United States Supreme Court in January of 2001, the
peoples of the world have witnessed a government in the
United States of America that has demonstrated little if any
respect for fundamental considerations of international law,
international organizations, and human rights, let alone
appreciation of the requirements for maintaining
international peace and security. What the world has
watched instead is a comprehensive and malicious assault
upon the integrity of the international legal order by a
group of men and women who are thoroughly
Machiavellian in their perception of international relations
and in their conduct of both foreign policy and domestic
affairs. This is not simply a question of giving or
withholding the benefit of the doubt when it comes to
complicated matters of foreign affairs and defense policies
to a U.S. government charged with the security of both its
own citizens and those of its allies in Europe, the Western
Hemisphere, and the Pacific. Rather, the Bush Jr.
administration's foreign policy constitutes ongoing criminal
activity under well-recognized principles of both
international law and U.S. domestic law, in particular the
Nuremberg Charter, the Nuremberg Judgment, and the
Nuremberg Principles. So their obliteration of Fallujah was
to be expected.
One generation ago the peoples of the world asked
themselves: Where were the "good" Germans? Well, there
were some good Germans. The Lutheran theologian and
pastor Dietrich Bonhoeffer was the foremost exemplar of
someone who led a life of principled opposition to the Nazi-
terror state even unto death.
Today the peoples of the world are likewise asking
themselves: Where are the "good" Americans? Well, there
are some good Americans. Like three Catholic Nuns in
Denver, they are getting arrested and going to jail for
protesting against United States weapons of mass
destruction (WMD) whose power for human extermination
far exceeds even the wildest fantasies of Hitler and the
Nazis. Or else for protesting against illegal U.S.. military
interventions around the world. Just recently the Nuclear
Resister estimated that since the Fall of 2002, there have
been more than 9,500 anti-war related arrests in the
United States alone. Many more will be coming.
In international legal terms, the Bush Jr. administration
itself should now be viewed as constituting an ongoing
criminal conspiracy under international criminal law in
violation of the Nuremberg Charter, the Nuremberg
Judgment, and the Nuremberg Principles, due to its
formulation and undertaking of aggressive war policies that
are legally akin to those perpetrated by the Nazi regime.
As a consequence, American citizens possess the basic
right under international law and the United States
domestic law, including the U.S. Constitution, to engage in
acts of non-violent civil resistance in order to prevent,
impede, thwart, or terminate ongoing criminal activities
perpetrated by U.S. government officials in their conduct of
foreign affairs policies and military operations purported to
relate to defense and counter-terrorism.
This same right of civil resistance extends pari passu to all
citizens of the world community of states. Everyone around
the world has both the right and the duty under
international law to resist ongoing criminal activities
perpetrated by the Bush Jr. administration and its
nefarious foreign accomplices such as Blair, Berlusconi,
Howard, Koizumi, Kwasniewski, etc. by all non-violent
means possible. If it is not so restrained, the Bush Jr.
administration could very well precipitate a Third World
War.
The time for preventive action is now. Civil resistance is
the way to go. People power can overcome power politics.
Popular movements have succeeded in toppling tyrannical,
dictatorial and authoritarian regimes throughout former
Communist countries in Eastern Europe, as well as in Asia,
and most recently in Latin America. It is time once again to
exercise People Power here in the United States of
America: "When in the Course of human Events. . . We
hold these Truths to be self-evident. . . . we mutually
pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and sacred
Honor."
Despite the best efforts by the Bush Jr. Leaguers to the
contrary, we American Citizens still have our First
Amendment Rights: Freedom of Speech, Freedom of
Association, Freedom of Assembly, Freedom to Petition our
Government for the Redress of these massive Grievances,
Civil Resistance, etc. We are going to have to start
vigorously exercising all of our First Amendment Rights
right now. We must use them or else, as the saying goes,
we will lose them. We must act not only for the good of the
Peoples of Southwest Asia, but for our future, that of our
children, that of our nation as a democratic society
committed to the Rule of Law and the U.S. Constitution.
The Nazis had their "homeland" too.
Francis A. Boyle, Professor of Law, University of Illinois, is
author of Foundations of World Order, Duke University
Press, The Criminality of Nuclear Deterrence, and
Palestine, Palestinians and International Law, by
Clarity Press. He can be reached at:
FBOYLE at LAW.UIUC.EDU

--------

License to Kill
================

by Gila Svirsky <gsvirsky at netvision.net.il>

It's been a terrible week.  Our elderly cat was
diagnosed with kidney failure, our newly built basement
flooded with water at the first winter rains, and
Yelena was stabbed to death right over our heads.

I didn't hear Yelena's screams, as some of my neighbors
did, but was awakened at 4:30 a.m. by the police trying
to bash down my door, in the search for her apartment.
When they found her one flight up, she was already
dead, lying in a pool of blood with stab wounds to her
neck and chest, two horrified daughters (aged 7 and 8)
at her side, and a boyfriend who claimed that he killed
her in self-defense because she attacked him. Never
mind that she was a graduate of a battered women's
shelter and he had 3 complaints of assault filed
against him.  Never mind that she was 31, short and of
slight build, and he 50, tall and solid.  Somehow he
had to stab her multiple times to protect himself.

This week we mark International Day of Eliminating
Violence Against Women, and I'd like to say a word
about the culture of violence that is growing around
us, in Israel, in the United States, and everywhere
that people and nations that are big and powerful think
they can solve problems by raising a knife or gun.

Killing, in all its many forms - crime, political
assassination, suicide bombings, and the war against
terror - doesn't work.  Why not?  Because killing
ultimately destroys more than it saves.  It destroys
the victim, it destroys the families of the victims and
perpetrators, it destroys masses of innocent
bystanders, and it sends a message that violence is
legitimate, thereby inviting another round of it.

Ask the Palestinian survivors who lived in the building
as the terrorist who had a one-ton bomb dropped on his
apartment, and were left to count the loved ones killed
by that bomb.  Ask the Israeli parents who try to pick
up the pieces of their lives after a suicide bomber has
gutted a bus.  Ask those whose loved ones were wiped
out in the Twin Towers.  Or the Iraqi children who live
in Falluja as the U.S. army gave them a demonstration
of bringing democracy to the world.

All killing is a crime.  And killing by governments
becomes a role model for others.  Take Israel as an
example, though this could be applied to Palestine, the
U.S., or any country whose leaders practice or condone
violence.

In the past four years, as the Palestinians justly seek
their independence from occupation and Israeli leaders
try to prevent it, violence has spiralled on both
sides.  The results are not only more death in
political action, and more bitterness and hatred, but
also more violence in civilian society:  In the past
four years in Israel, we have had more rape, more
killing of women by their male partners, and more
violence in schools by children.  The overlap between
the "war on terror" and increased violence in the
streets, homes, and schools is no coincidence.

A culture of violence filters down into society when
its leaders use force to resolve problems.  This
culture of violence - loosening the reins on the use of
force - is not an invention of TV and movies (which
have certainly overdone it), but begins by personal
example of those who influence our values and norms:
parents, political leaders, the most powerful nation on
earth.  What are we to learn when a superpower, with
all imaginable means at its disposal, uses violence?

So at a time when we are thinking about how to end
violence against women, I submit that you can't wipe it
out without also addressing the example set by the
state.  When power and violence dominate political
strategy, governments are issuing a license to kill,
and that trickles right down to us and the apartments
over our heads.

Gila Svirsky
Jerusalem

You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options
(option A - 1x/week, option B - 3/wk, option C - up to 1x/day, option
D - up to 3x/day) please reply and let us know!  If someone
forwarded you this email and you want to be on our list, send an
email to ean at sbcglobal.net and tell us which option you'd like.

Action is the antidote to despair.  ----Joan Baez