[Mb-civic] GOP May Change Rules for DeLay

Michael Butler michael at michaelbutler.com
Wed Nov 17 10:47:02 PST 2004

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-reid17nov17.story

GOP May Change Rules for DeLay

The House majority leader could be allowed to keep his post even if a Texas
grand jury indicts him on charges of illegal campaign fundraising.
 By Richard Simon
 Times Staff Writer

 November 17, 2004

 WASHINGTON ‹ House Republicans may consider changing party rules today to
allow Rep. Tom DeLay of Texas to keep his job as majority leader even if he
is indicted.

 Rep. Henry Bonilla (R-Texas) has proposed eliminating the rule that
requires House Republicans who are indicted by a state grand jury to step
down from their leadership positions.

 A Texas grand jury that has indicted three fundraisers with ties to DeLay
still is investigating allegations of funneling illegal corporate campaign
funds to state GOP candidates in Texas. "In this country, last I checked,
you are innocent until proven guilty," Bonilla said. "This prevents any
crackpot political county attorney or district attorney from dictating the
future of our leadership."

 The majority leader is particularly popular among House Republicans because
he orchestrated the recent redrawing of Texas congressional districts in
such a way that 21 Republicans won House seats in the Nov. 2 elections. The
delegation had been an even split, with 16 GOP members and 16 Democrats.

 Under Bonilla's proposed rule change, House Republicans still could vote to
remove a leader indicted by a state grand jury. The rule requiring House
leaders to give up their leadership posts if indicted by a federal grand
jury would be unchanged.

 A spokesman for DeLay said that House Republicans "should come to their own
conclusions" on the possible rule change "without [DeLay] exerting undue
influence one way or the other."

 DeLay was part of a conservative leadership team reelected by House
Republicans on Tuesday to advance President Bush's legislative agenda
through the new Congress when it convened in January.

 "What a great time to be a Republican in Washington," said J. Dennis
Hastert (R-Ill.), who was nominated by his Republican colleagues for a
fourth term as House Speaker and was expected to be reelected by the full
House in January.

 Senate Democrats, meanwhile, chose Harry Reid of Nevada to replace Minority
Leader Tom Daschle of South Dakota, who lost his seat to Republican Rep.
John Thune.

 Daschle had earned the enmity of Republicans for blocking Bush priorities
such as the appointing of more conservative judges and limiting of medical
malpractice awards. Reid showed signs Tuesday of doing more of the same.

 While pledging to try to work with the enhanced Republican majority in the
next Congress, Reid said he was prepared to battle for his party's
principles.

 "I always would rather dance than fight, but I know how to fight," Reid
said at a Capitol Hill news conference.

 Reid urged GOP leaders not to "mess with the rules" by limiting Democratic
filibusters. Senate rules now require 60 votes to cut off debate and force a
measure to a vote; the new Senate will have 55 Republicans among its 100
members.

 Reid, a miner's son who grew up in Searchlight, Nev., said that while he
hoped to work with Bush and congressional Republicans, Democrats would be
pushing their priorities ‹ such as increasing the minimum wage, providing
affordable healthcare and improving education.

 "We realize we're the loyal opposition," he said. "The issues that come to
the floor will be issues brought to us by the majority. We are going to do
everything we can Š to improve that legislation."

 Sen. Richard Durbin (D-Ill.) was elected to succeed Reid as minority whip,
the second-ranking Democratic leadership post.

 House Democrats and Senate Republicans plan to elect their leaders today.
Nancy Pelosi (D-San Francisco) is expected to be reelected House minority
leader, and Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) is also expected to
be reelected.

 Among Californians, Rep. Christopher Cox of Newport Beach was reelected
chairman of the Republican Policy Committee and Rep. John T. Doolittle of
Rocklin won another term as secretary of the Republican Conference.

 The first day of the lame-duck Congress also featured the return to the
Senate of John F. Kerry (D-Mass.), who was greeted with a standing ovation
at a meeting of Senate Democrats.

If you want other stories on this topic, search the Archives at
latimes.com/archives.

Article licensing and reprint options

 Copyright 2004 Los Angeles Times