[Mb-civic] Hamas seeks unified leadership BBC

Michael Butler michael at michaelbutler.com
Tue Nov 16 11:41:24 PST 2004

 Hamas seeks unified leadership
 Palestinian militant groups Hamas and Islamic Jihad have again called for a
unified leadership to be set up following Yasser Arafat's death.

 Their call came at a meeting in Gaza with Mahmoud Abbas, who has replaced
Arafat as leader of the Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO).

 The groups want to be part of a joint leadership until presidential
elections scheduled for early January 2005.

 For now, both groups are refusing to participate in the election.

 We are opposed to any monopoly on power
  Sami Abu Zukhri
 Hamas spokesman
 They argue that the vote will only be used to install a leader associated
with Mr Arafat's Fatah movement, which has always held the levers of
Palestinian power.

 The BBC's Alan Johnston in Gaza says it is hard to see the Fatah leadership
giving up any real decision-making power to the Islamic groups.

 He says the levers of Palestinian political power have always been firmly
in the hands of the faction that Yasser Arafat founded and led - the Fatah
party.

 Powerful Islamic movement

 But the powerful Islamist movement, Hamas, and its sister party, Islamic
Jihad, say that they should now be drawn into the power structure.

 After the meeting with Mr Abbas, a spokesman for Hamas said that there
would be further talks on the issue.

 "We are insisting on the need for legislative and municipal elections in
addition to the presidential poll," said Hamas spokesman Sami Abu Zukhri.

 "We are opposed to any monopoly on power."

 Story from BBC NEWS:
 http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/middle_east/4015657.stm

 Published: 2004/11/16 11:07:33 GMT

 © BBC MMIV