[Mb-civic] god will punish bush

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Sun Nov 14 16:13:55 PST 2004

madbaker:

i couldn't help but smile at your statement that "the days of the american empire are numbered..."  i smiled because it reminded me both of history and of Scripture.

most of us know the old saw that "rome was destroyed from within" - as a result of its own debauchery, etc.  however, that is not the entire truth.  rome fell because of a combination of its "internal" self-destruction and the simultaneous over-reaching and over-commitment of its then-decreasing army.  that is, at the very time that its army was declining and in need of support, "rome" had turned "inward" and was pumping way too much money into debauchery and "entertainment."

and while the u.s. is not nearly at that point, it is definitely on its way - and rushing toward it.

as interesting is the Scriptural context.  as a long-time scholar of the Revelation and the prophets (i.e., the "end times" and the pre-"end times" period), one fact that sticks out in prophecies of those times is the disappearance of the u.s.  almost every other country (asian, european, middle eastern, even african) has a place in the Scriptural prophecies of the "last days."  the u.s., however, does not - which means that, despite its current hyperpower status, something (or some combination of things...) will cause it to lose its "primary" role in world affairs.  in this regard, the more we antagonize the rest of the world - the more we isolate ourselves via policy, actions, et al - the more your comment will become reality: the days of the american empire will be numbered.

peace.