[Mb-civic] Fallujah

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 9 16:57:08 PST 2004

Here are THREE pieces on Fallujah.  It is important to read and share them to
counter the renewed warblitz of the corporate media (and NPR, actually).  If you
don't have the time or patience to read them all, read at least the first one, or maybe
the first two....

Today's commentary:
http://www.zmag.org/sustainers/content/2004-11/07mahajan.cfm

===November 07, 2004

Fallujah and the Reality of War

By Rahul Mahajan

The assault on Fallujah has started. It is being sold as liberation of the people
of Fallujah; it is being sold as a necessary step to implementing “democracy”
in Iraq. These are lies.

I was in Fallujah during the siege in April, and I want to paint for you a word
picture of what such an assault means.

Fallujah is dry and hot; like Southern California, it has been made an
agricultural area only by virtue of extensive irrigation. It has been known for
years as a particularly devout city; people call it the City of a Thousand
Mosques. In the mid-90’s, when Saddam wanted his name to be added to
the call to prayer, the imams of Fallujah refused.

U.S. forces bombed the power plant at the beginning of the assault; for the
next several weeks, Fallujah was a blacked-out town, with light provided by
generators only in critical places like mosques and clinics. The town was
placed under siege; the ban on bringing in food, medicine, and other basic
items was broken only when Iraqis en masse challenged the roadblocks. The
atmosphere was one of pervasive fear, from bombing and the threat of more
bombing. Noncombatants and families with sick people, the elderly, and
children were leaving in droves. After initial instances in which people were
prevented from leaving, U.S. forces began allowing everyone to leave –
except for what they called “military age males,” men usually between 15 and
60. Keeping noncombatants from leaving a place under bombardment is a
violation of the laws of war. Of course, if you assume that every military age
male is an enemy, there can be no better sign that you are in the wrong
country, and that, in fact, your war is on the people, not on their oppressors,
not a war of liberation.

The main hospital in Fallujah is across the Euphrates from the bulk of the
town. Right at the beginning, the Americans shut down the main bridge,
cutting off the hospital from the town. Doctors who wanted to treat patients
had to leave the hospital, with only the equipment they could carry, and set
up in makeshift clinics all over the city; the one I stayed at had been a
neighborhood clinic with one room that had four beds, and no operating
theater; doctors refrigerated blood in a soft-drink vending machine. Another
clinic, I’m told, had been an auto repair shop. This hospital closing (not the
only such that I documented in Iraq) also violates the Geneva Convention.

In Fallujah, you were rarely free of the sound of artillery booming in the
background, punctuated by the smaller, higher-pitched note of the
mujaheddin’s hand-held mortars. After even a few minutes of it, you have to
stop paying attention to it – and yet, of course, you never quite stop. Even
today, when I hear the roar of thunder, I’m often transported instantly to April
10 and the dusty streets of Fallujah.

In addition to the artillery and the warplanes dropping 500, 1000, and 2000-
pound bombs, and the murderous AC-130 Spectre gunships that can
demolish a whole city block in less than a minute, the Marines had snipers
criss-crossing the whole town. For weeks, Fallujah was a series of
sometimes mutually inaccessible pockets, divided by the no-man’s-lands of
sniper fire paths. Snipers fired indiscriminately, usually at whatever moved.
Of 20 people I saw come into the clinic I observed in a few hours, only five
were “military-age males.” I saw old women, old men, a child of 10 shot
through the head; terminal, the doctors told me, although in Baghdad they
might have been able to save him.

One thing that snipers were very discriminating about – every single
ambulance I saw had bullet holes in it. Two that I inspected bore clear
evidence of specific, deliberate sniping. Friends of mine who went out to
gather in wounded people were shot at. When we first reported this fact, we
came in for near-universal execration. Many just refused to believe it. Some
asked me how I knew that it wasn’t the mujaheddin. Interesting question.
Had, say, Brownsville, Texas, been encircled by the Vietnamese and
bombarded (which, of course, Mr. Bush courageously protected us from
during the Vietnam war era) and Brownsville ambulances been shot up, the
question of whether the residents were shooting at their own ambulances, I
somehow guess, would not have come up. Later, our reports were confirmed
by the Iraqi Ministry of Health and even by the U.S. military.

The best estimates are that roughly 900-1000 people were killed directly,
blown up, burnt, or shot. Of them, my guess, based on news reports and
personal observation, is that 2/3 to 3/4 were noncombatants.

But the damage goes far beyond that. You can read whenever you like about
the bombing of so-called Zarqawi safe houses in residential areas in Fallujah,
but the reports don’t tell you what that means. You read about precision
strikes, and it’s true that America’s GPS-guided bombs are very accurate –
when they’re not malfunctioning, the 80 or 85% of the time that they work,
their targeting radius is 10 meters, i.e., they hit within 10 meters of the target.
Even the smallest of them, however, the 500-pound bomb, has a blast radius
of 400 meters; every single bomb shakes the whole neighborhood, breaking
windows and smashing crockery. A town under bombardment is a town in
constant fear.

You read the reports about X killed and Y wounded. And you should
remember those numbers; those numbers are important. But equally
important is to remember that those numbers lie – in a war zone, everyone is
wounded.

The first assault on Fallujah was a military failure. This time, the resistance is
stronger, better-armed, and better-organized; to “win,” the U.S. military will
have to pull out all the stops. Even within horror and terror, there are
degrees, and we – and the people of Fallujah – ain’t seen nothin’ yet. George
W. Bush has just claimed a new mandate – the world has been delivered into
his hands.

There will be international condemnation, as there was the first time; but our
government won’t listen to it; aside from the resistance, all the people of
Fallujah will be able to depend on to try to mitigate the horror will be us, the
antiwar movement. We have a responsibility, that we didn’t meet in April and
we didn’t meet in August when Najaf was similarly attacked; will we meet it
this time?

Rahul Mahajan is publisher of the weblog Empire Notes
(http://www.empirenotes.org), with regularly updated commentary on U.S.
foreign policy, the occupation of Iraq, and the state of the American Empire.
He has been to occupied Iraq twice, and was in Fallujah during the siege in
April. His most recent book is Full Spectrum Dominance: U.S. Power in Iraq
and Beyond
(http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1583225781/empirenotes-20).
He can be reached at rahul at empirenotes.org