[Mb-civic] Let’s raise up OUR ‘moral values’

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Sun Nov 7 20:56:47 PST 2004

>From the Fellowship of Reconciliation
http://www.forusa.org

Let’s raise up OUR ‘moral values’

Many in the FOR family are distressed at this week’s election result, and the
prospect of another four years of this administration’s aggressive policies
abroad and reactionary measures at home. Adding to the feelings of dread is
the fact that the President received an even stronger mandate by decisively
winning the popular vote, while gaining firmer control of both houses of
Congress.

But even as we mourn what might have been, we look to new beginnings and
a new commitment to our vision for the future.   As we deal with sadness, we
learn that our Local Groups Coordinator has, since Election Night, received
half a dozen requests to establish new FOR local groups!   The last time that
happened was just after the start of the war in Iraq.

We find strength by looking into the past. There we re-learn the positive
lessons that against enormous odds, truth, justice and freedom will
eventually prevail. The early abolitionists faced tremendous disappointments
in their long struggle to end slavery. There were many moments of despair
and hopelessness in the early years the civil rights struggle.  During the
Vietnam War, there were times when the contempt of our fellow citizens
almost made us falter. But we stayed the course –against slavery and Jim
Crow; against war; for human and civil rights around the world; for the rights
of women, minorities and workers; for the protection of the environment; for
an end to weapons of mass destruction everywhere.

We learn from post-election polls that it was won on “moral values.”   The
Fellowship of Reconciliation believes in moral values, but doesn’t believe they
are the exclusive property of any religious ideology. War and violence is a
moral issue. Genocide is a moral issue. The threat of nuclear annihilation is a
moral issue. Racial, economic and gender discrimination, the exploitation of
women, children and ethnic minorities around the world --- these are all moral
issues.

As we recommit ourselves to the work that lies ahead, let us raise up our
moral values in the public arena. Let us reach out with our progressive faith.
Let us engage those whose speak of moral values but support war and
killing. There are many more of us who wish to live in a world free of war and
violence than there are those who view faith purely a matter of personal
salvation, or whose purpose is to bring about Armageddon .
The challenges are difficult, but not insurmountable. We’ve been through
difficult times in the past. Let us work even harder to promote our
progressive, inclusive and courageous vision for our nation and our world.
Let us renew our commitment to work for what Martin Luther King called “The
Beloved Community” – a world in which differences are respected, conflicts
addressed nonviolently and oppressive structures dismantled; a world in
which people are able to live in harmony with the earth, nurtured by diverse
spiritual traditions that foster compassion, solidarity, and reconciliation.

---

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list, option D
(up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options (option A -

Action is the antidote to despair.  ----Joan Baez