[Mb-civic] Greg Palast: "Kerry Won Here's the facts" (+ more on black box voting)

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 4 16:50:12 PST 2004

Interestingly, to me, this article does not even address the problems with
electronic voting machines...So I am appending another little piece here
about that...I reckon that we have to come to terms with the fact that, at the
moment at least, a Democrat presidential candidate needs to get 3 million or
so more votes than the Republican just to tie...and more to win.  Maybe we
can change that if we work at it....

http://www.tompaine.com/articles/kerry_won.php

Kerry Won  Here's the facts

Greg Palast
November 04, 2004

Bush won Ohio by 136,483 votes. Typically in the United States, about 3
percent of votes cast are voided—known as “spoilage” in election
jargon—because the ballots cast are inconclusive. Palast’s investigation
suggests that if Ohio’s discarded ballots were counted, Kerry would have won
the state. Today the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports
(http://www.cleveland.com/election/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/news/109956
457262001.xml) there are a total of 247,672 votes not counted in Ohio, if you
add the 92,672 discarded votes plus the 155,000 provisional ballots.

Greg Palast, contributing editor to Harper's magazine, investigated the
manipulation of the vote for BBC Television's Newsnight. The documentary,
"Bush Family Fortunes," based on his New York Times bestseller, The Best
Democracy Money Can Buy, has been released this month on DVD .

Kerry won. Here's the facts.

I know you don't want to hear it. You can't face one more hung chad.  But I
don't have a choice. As a journalist examining that messy sausage called
American democracy, it's my job to tell you who got the most votes in the
deciding states. Tuesday, in Ohio and New Mexico, it was John Kerry.

Most voters in Ohio thought they were voting for Kerry. CNN's exit poll
showed Kerry beating Bush among Ohio women by 53 percent to 47 percent.
Kerry also defeated Bush among Ohio's male voters 51 percent to 49
percent. Unless a third gender voted in Ohio, Kerry took the state.

So what's going on here? Answer: the exit polls are accurate. Pollsters ask,
"Who did you vote for?" Unfortunately, they don't ask the crucial, question,
"Was your vote counted?" The voters don't know.

Here's why. Although the exit polls show that most voters in Ohio punched
cards for Kerry-Edwards, thousands of these votes were simply not recorded.
This was predictable and it was predicted. [See TomPaine.com, "An Election
Spoiled Rotten,"  November 1.]
(http://www.tompaine.com/articles/an_election_spoiled_rotten.php )

Once again, at the heart of the Ohio uncounted vote game are, I'm sorry to
report, hanging chads and pregnant chads, plus some other ballot tricks old
and new.

The election in Ohio was not decided by the voters but by something called
"spoilage." Typically in the United States, about 3 percent of the vote is
voided, just thrown away, not recorded. When the bobble-head boobs on the
tube tell you Ohio or any state was won by 51 percent to 49 percent, don't
you believe it ... it has never happened in the United States, because the total
never reaches a neat 100 percent. The television totals simply subtract out
the spoiled vote.

And not all vote spoil equally. Most of those votes, say every official report,
come from African American and minority precincts. (To learn more, click
here:http://www.civilrightsproject.harvard.edu/research/electoral_reform/resid
ual_ballot.php .)

We saw this in Florida in 2000. Exit polls showed Gore with a plurality of at
least 50,000, but it didn't match the official count. That's because the official,
Secretary of State Katherine Harris, excluded 179,855 spoiled votes.  In
Florida, as in Ohio, most of these votes lost were cast on punch cards where
the hole wasn't punched through completely—leaving a 'hanging chad,'—or
was punched extra times.  Whose cards were discarded? Expert statisticians
investigating spoilage for the government calculated that 54 percent of the
ballots thrown in the dumpster were cast by black folks. (To read the report
from the U.S. Civil Rights Commission, click here:
http://www.usccr.gov/pubs/vote2004/elect04.pdf .)

And here's the key: Florida is terribly typical. The majority of ballots thrown
out (there will be nearly 2 million tossed out from Tuesday's election) will
have been cast by African American and other minority citizens.

So here we go again. Or, here we don't go again. Because unlike last time,
Democrats aren't even asking Ohio to count these cards with the not-quite-
punched holes (called "undervotes" in the voting biz).

Ohio is one of the last states in America to still use the vote-spoiling punch-
card machines. And the Secretary of State of Ohio, J. Kenneth Blackwell,
wrote before the election, “the possibility of a close election with punch cards
as the state’s primary voting device invites a Florida-like calamity.”

But this week, Blackwell, a rabidly partisan Republican, has warmed up to the
result of sticking with machines that have a habit of eating Democratic votes.
When asked if he feared being this year's Katherine Harris, Blackwell noted
that Ms. Fix-it's efforts landed her a seat in Congress.

Exactly how many votes were lost to spoilage this time? Blackwell's office,
notably, won't say, though the law requires it be reported. Hmm. But we know
that last time, the total of Ohio votes discarded reached a democracy-
damaging 1.96 percent. The machines produced their typical loss—that's
110,000 votes—overwhelmingly Democratic.

The Impact Of Challenges

First and foremost, Kerry was had by chads. But the Democrat wasn't
punched out by punch cards alone. There were also the 'challenges.' That's a
polite word for the Republican Party of Ohio's use of an old Ku Klux Klan
technique: the attempt to block thousands of voters of color at the polls. In
Ohio, Wisconsin and Florida, the GOP laid plans for poll workers to ambush
citizens under arcane laws—almost never used—allowing party-designated
poll watchers to finger individual voters and demand they be denied a ballot.
The Ohio courts were horrified and federal law prohibits targeting of voters
where race is a factor in the challenge. But our Supreme Court was prepared
to let Republicans stand in the voting booth door.

In the end, the challenges were not overwhelming, but they were there. Many
apparently resulted in voters getting these funky "provisional" ballots—a kind
of voting placebo—which may or may not be counted. Blackwell estimates
there were 175,000; Democrats say 250,000. Pick your number. But as
challenges were aimed at minorities, no one doubts these are, again,
overwhelmingly Democratic. Count them up, add in the spoiled punch cards
(easy to tally with the human eye in a recount), and the totals begin to match
the exit polls; and, golly, you've got yourself a new president. Remember,
Bush won by 136,483 votes in Ohio.

Enchanted State's Enchanted Vote

Now, on to New Mexico, where a Kerry plurality—if all votes are counted—is
more obvious still. Before the election, in TomPaine.com, I wrote, "John
Kerry is down by several thousand votes in New Mexico, though not one
ballot has yet been counted."

How did that happen? It's the spoilage, stupid; and the provisional ballots.

CNN said George Bush took New Mexico by 11,620 votes. Again, the
network total added up to that miraculous, and non-existent, '100 percent' of
ballots cast.

New Mexico reported in the last race a spoilage rate of 2.68 percent, votes
lost almost entirely in Hispanic, Native American and poor
precincts—Democratic turf. From Tuesday's vote, assuming the same ballot-
loss rate, we can expect to see 18,000 ballots in the spoilage bin.

Spoilage has a very Democratic look in New Mexico. Hispanic voters in the
Enchanted State, who voted more than two to one for Kerry, are five times as
likely to have their vote spoil as a white voter. Counting these uncounted
votes would easily overtake the Bush 'plurality.'

Already, the election-bending effects of spoilage are popping up in the
election stats, exactly where we'd expect them: in heavily Hispanic areas
controlled by Republican elections officials. Chaves County, in the "Little
Texas" area of New Mexico, has a 44 percent Hispanic population, plus
African Americans and Native Americans, yet George Bush "won" there 68
percent to 31 percent.

I spoke with Chaves' Republican county clerk before the election, and he told
me that this huge spoilage rate among Hispanics simply indicated that such
people simply can't make up their minds on the choice of candidate for
president. Oddly, these brown people drive across the desert to register their
indecision in a voting booth.

Now, let's add in the effect on the New Mexico tally of provisional ballots.

"They were handing them out like candy," Albuquerque journalist Renee
Blake reported of provisional ballots. About 20,000 were given out. Who got
them?

Santiago Juarez who ran the "Faithful Citizenship" program for the Catholic
Archdiocese in New Mexico, told me that "his" voters, poor Hispanics, whom
he identified as solid Kerry supporters, were handed the iffy provisional
ballots. Hispanics were given provisional ballots, rather than the countable
kind "almost religiously," he said, at polling stations when there was the least
question about a voter's identification. Some voters, Santiago said, were
simply turned away.

Your Kerry Victory Party

So we can call Ohio and New Mexico for John Kerry—if we count all the
votes.

But that won't happen. Despite the Democratic Party's pledge, the leadership
this time gave in to racial disenfranchisement once again. Why? No doubt,
the Democrats know darn well that counting all the spoiled and provisional
ballots will require the cooperation of Ohio's Secretary of State, Blackwell. He
will ultimately decide which spoiled and provisional ballots get tallied.
Blackwell, hankering to step into Kate Harris' political pumps, is unlikely to
permit anything close to a full count. Also, Democratic leadership knows darn
well the media would punish the party for demanding a full count.

What now? Kerry won, so hold your victory party. But make sure the shades
are down: it may be become illegal to demand a full vote count under
PATRIOT Act III.

I used to write a column for the Guardian papers in London. Several friends
have asked me if I will again leave the country. In light of the failure—a
second time—to count all the votes, that won't be necessary. My country has
left me.

--------

http://www.blackboxvoting.org/
Voting without auditing. (Are we insane?)
SEATTLE, WASHINGTON Nov 3 2004 -- Did the voting
machines trump exit polls? There™s a way to find out.
Black Box Voting (.ORG) is conducting the largest Freedom of
Information action in history. At 8:30 p.m. Election Night, Black Box
Voting blanketed the U.S. with the first in a series of public records
requests, to obtain internal computer logs and other documents from
3,000 individual counties and townships. Networks called the election
before anyone bothered to perform even the most rudimentary audit.
America: We have permission to say No to unaudited voting. It is our
right.
Among the first requests sent to counties (with all kinds of voting
systems -- optical scan, touch-screen, and punch card) is a formal
records request for internal audit logs, polling place results slips,
modem transmission logs, and computer trouble slips.
An earlier FOIA is more sensitive, and has not been disclosed here.
We will notify you as soon as we can go public with it.
Such a request filed in King County, Washington on Sept. 15,
following the primary election six weeks ago, uncovered an internal
audit log containing a three-hour deletion on election night;
œtrouble slips revealing suspicious modem activity; and profound
problems with security, including accidental disclosure of critically
sensitive remote access information to poll workers, office personnel,
and even, in a shocking blunder, to Black Box Voting activists.
Black Box Voting is a nonpartisan, nonprofit consumer protection
group for elections. You may view the first volley of public records
requests here: Freedom of Information requests here
organized by state and county, so that any news organization or
citizens group has access to the information. Black Box Voting will
assist in analysis, by providing expertise in evaluating the records.
Watch for the records online; Black Box Voting will be posting the
results as they come in. And by the way, these are not free. The more
donations we get, the more FOIAs we are empowered to do. Time's
a'wasting.
We look forward to seeing you participate in this process. Join us in
evaluating the previously undisclosed inside information about how
our voting system works.
Play a part in reclaiming transparency. It™s the only
way.
# # # # #

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list, option D
(up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options (option A -

Action is the antidote to despair.  ----Joan Baez