[Mb-civic] A message and a plea to good Christians everywhere

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Tue Nov 2 11:06:26 PST 2004

As the token (I think) Christian minister on Civic, all I can say is: Amen!  You are absolutely correct in 99% of what you say, and are particularly correct that: "Christian Fascists are not Christian.  All of you true Christians know this."

This brings up an important addendum, which I will explain by simile.  On NYC's buses and subways, some seats are designated for the disabled.  The sign above those seats that makes this clear adds: "Remember: Not all disabilities are visible."

In similar regard, please remember that "Not all Christians are members of the Christian Right" (much less Christian Fascists).

I cannot stress this enough, because, as I've said ad nauseum here, far too many people (including many Civic members) lump all Christians in a big pot and call them "conservative," "religious right," "fascist," and other words too horrible to mention.  As I've also said ad nauseum, this not only adds nothing to any serious, progressive, helpful discussion or debate on the issue, but also alienates many potential allies.

Most people are probably not aware that the "moderate," "centrist" Christian community in the U.S. far outnumbers the conservative, evangelical community - and this is true of both Protestants and Catholics.  The numbers are something like 2% (conservative) to 16% (centrist).  The only reason this seems hard to believe is that the "Christian Right" has completely dominated the media (and, by extenstion, the "public eye") with respect to the "Christian" viewpoint.

So, if serious, honest, progressive, helpful discussion and debate about the effect of "Christians" on U.S. politics (or in any other regard...) is going to be had, please - please! - remember that "not all Christians are members of the Christian Right," and that, in fact, there are more Christian centrists than there are Christian conservatives.  Because alienating potential allies is not the way to effect change in society.

Peace.