[Mb-civic] Kerry challenges Bush on security BBC

Michael Butler michael at michaelbutler.com
Fri Jul 30 10:42:34 PDT 2004

 Kerry challenges Bush on security
 Democratic Party candidate John Kerry has formally accepted the nomination
to run for US president, vowing to rebuild America's alliances around the
world.

 In a major speech ending the party's convention in Boston, he promised to
fight for a stronger America, saying strength was "more than tough words".

 He also attacked President Bush's policy on Iraq, and said that he would
not "mislead the country into war".

 A successful speech is seen as vital for his chance in November's election.

 The BBC's Rob Watson says that the speech went down extremely well with
delegates, but the question now is how will it have played in the wider
country.

 'Tough words'

 In contrast to Democratic convention speeches in recent campaigns, Mr
Kerry's address was heavily weighted toward foreign policy and security.

 I am John Kerry and I am reporting for duty
  Senator John Kerry    Watch Kerry's speech
 The speech was preceded by a film of his life story, highlighting his
experiences as a soldier in Vietnam.

 Then, accompanied by his wartime crew mates, the candidate took to the
stage.

 "I defended this country as a young man and I will defend it as president,"
Mr Kerry said.

 He said that as commander-in-chief he would "never hesitate to use force
when it is required", and would be prepared for the US to go it alone.

 "I will never give any nation or international institution a veto over our
national security," Mr Kerry said.

 The New York Times counted that Mr Kerry used a variation of the word
"strength" 17 times.

 Restraint

 The Democratic candidate also launched a blistering attack on the conduct
of the Iraq war.

 He sought to contrast himself with Mr Bush by highlighting the faulty
intelligence used by the administration ahead of the conflict.

 HAVE YOUR SAY
 He nailed it. His finest hour showed what Republicans didn't want to see,
that he would take them on both barrels blazing.
  Gerald Patterson, Alabama

 "I will immediately reform the intelligence system so policy is guided by
facts and facts are never distorted by politics."

 To the 4,000 delegates and to the wider television audience beyond, he said
he would restore America's tradition of restraint.

 "We only go to war because we have to," he said.

 He added: "We need to rebuild our alliances so we can get the terrorists
before they get us."

 Mr Kerry described this presidential election as the most important of
their lifetime.

 The US, he said, was a country at war with terrorism and a country with
economic problems at home.

 "In these dangerous days there is a right way and a wrong way to be strong.
Strength is more than tough words," he said.

 Hoping for 'bounce'

 Mr Kerry also outlined his domestic policies.

 He pledged to improve the quality of life for Americans, with tax cuts for
the middle classes and a health care plan to save families up to $1,000 a
year on their premiums.

 "America can do better, help is on the way," he said.

 The speech concludes the convention and kicks off a three-month battle with
Mr Bush, who intends to resume campaigning after spending the week at his
Texas ranch.

 Mr Kerry hopes his four days in the spotlight provide a measurable surge in
public approval, known as "bounce," which sometimes has given nominees a
double-digit boost in the polls.

 The latest opinion poll, taken during the Democratic convention but before
Mr Kerry's speech, suggested Mr Kerry and running mate John Edwards were
leading President Bush by five points.

 The Zogby America survey gave the Democratic ticket a 48-43% advantage.

 Story from BBC NEWS:
 http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/americas/3938387.stm

 Published: 2004/07/30 14:07:10 GMT

 © BBC MMIV