[Mb-civic] Earth's Fish Disappearing

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Wed Jul 28 21:58:07 PDT 2004

Max:

Thanks for all this.  Great research.

One comment.  There is one critical error in the way the eco-environmental
movement is sold.  It talks about "destroying the planet," whether by
killing off rain forests, polluting land, water and air, or depleting
natural resources.  However, all of this is a misnomer.

The fact is: you cannot destroy a planet; you can only destroy the planet's
ability to sustain life.  That is, if we depleted every ounce of oil and
natural gas, destroyed every rainforest, polluted every inch of the ground,
every ounce of water and every molecule of air - indeed, even if we had a
full-scale thermonuclear war causing "nuclear winter" - we would only find
OURSELVES extinct.  However, the planet itself would not "die."  It might
take thousands of years - even tens of thousands - but the planet would
eventually restore itself, even to the point of bringing forth "new life."

Indeed, it is sheer arrogance to think that we have the power to destroy a
planet.  No, Earth has been here for about 5 billion years, and will likely
be here for another five billion.  We can wreak as much havoc and damage as
we like - we are only killing OURSELVES.

The planet laughs at our puerile efforts to destroy it, and waits only for
us to be gone so it can live in peace again.

Peace.