[Mb-civic] An Occupation by Any Other Name

Michael Butler michael at michaelbutler.com
Fri Jul 23 17:48:18 PDT 2004

An Occupation by Any Other Name

By Bill Berkowitz, AlterNet
 Posted on July 23, 2004, Printed on July 23, 2004
 http://www.alternet.org/story/19316/

Paul Bremer, the former U.S. administrator, has packed up his trademark
boots and gone home. Brig. Gen. Mark Kimmitt, the deputy chief of military
operations in Iraq, and Dan Senor, the former U.S. main spokesman in Iraq,
no longer grace our television screens. And the controversial John
Negroponte, who is now running the show out of the largest U.S. embassy in
the world, is rarely seen or heard.

In other words, the U.S. occupation of Iraq has officially gone underground.
The Bush administration is indeed putting an "Iraqi face" on the occupation
by keeping its operations outside the media spotlight. Since the White House
can't come up with a strategy to actually get out of Iraq, it is now hoping
that voters will simply forget we're over there.

Although the chaos, killings, kidnappings and destruction continue, the
administration's spin doctors are no longer on the front lines managing the
news in Iraq. The steady drumbeat of pro-war analysis on television has
slowed to a trickle with the usual parade of White House supporters
seemingly on a summer break.

In Iraq, the PR flacks for the Coalition Press Information Center in Baghdad
no longer offer daily press briefings. They are too busy training Iraqis for
their job, now that the interim government is becoming public face of
security operations on the ground.

According to the New York Times, Ambassador Negroponte has deliberately kept
a low profile.

"Us not speaking as much as we have been in the past for the situation in
Iraq may be one of the things we can do," Negroponte told reporters. "Let
them speak for themselves."

Or more accurately, let them speak for us.

The most effective spokesman for the U.S. occupation is the interim and
unelected Prime Minister, Ayad Allawi. Now it is his face that we see when
Iraq makes the evening news. And each time, he repeats one of his two
favored messages: Thank President Bush for freeing Iraq; take immediate
action against the insurgents. That Allawi's message appears to be aimed at
a U.S. audience is hardly a coincidence.

As one administration official told the Washington Post, The White House now
has "an Iraqi leader who publicly thanks the United States for the past,
takes political responsibility for the future and has a strategy." The Bush
administration could hardly ask for more in an election year.

What's more, the strategy is working. "Iraq's newly empowered politicians
have not stemmed the violence and instability in their country ... three
weeks of partial sovereignty may have helped the Bush administration's drive
to reduce its political vulnerability on Iraq at home," writes the
Washington Post's Jim Hoagland.

While neither Allawi nor Bush can hope to fool Iraqis who know exactly how
bad things are on the ground, gulling the distant American public is a lot
easier, especially when many of the reporters now in Iraq don't leave their
hotels, let alone Baghdad.

The cable news networks that brought the sanitized invasion into America's
living rooms 16 months ago still report from Iraq but the blazing banner
headlines have receded into the background, the keyed-up news anchors have
calmed down, and rooftop reports from Baghdad are less frequent and carry
less urgency. The news that the 900th U.S. service member had died in Iraq
as of this week did not merit more than a passing mention by major news
outlets.

"To the relief of the White House," Hoagland writes, "the American public
and media seem to be slowly trying to tune out Iraq's continuing violence.
Accounts of all but spectacular assaults slide deeper into network news
broadcasts and the inside pages of newspapers as the summer and the U.S.
presidential campaign progress."

As of this writing, 47 U.S. service members have died in Iraq since June 28.
Over the past month American soldiers are dying at the rate of two per day -
a rate greater than the month before the "handover." As Anti-War.com points
out, at this rate, we will pass the 1,000-death mark in 50 days, or a week
after the Republican National Convention in NYC.

But will any one notice?

 © 2004 Independent Media Institute. All rights reserved.
 View this story online at: http://www.alternet.org/story/19316/