[Mb-civic] Answer to a question

Michael Butler michael at michaelbutler.com
Tue Jul 20 09:03:12 PDT 2004

You may recall my recent query of Michael Moore:

"I have a List of Interest and we have question?
Sorry to bother you again. In my last email I was told that background
details for the film would be on your site. I have checked and while the
backgrounds are there they don't go any farther. Our question: Why did
no Senator sign on to back the Black Caucus and Al Gore? Why did Daschle
not support him? Anything written about that? Michael Butler"

I have received a reply (not from Michael) which explains what happened:

But Hillary Clinton was asked the same question, has said that
> many senators, including her, wanted to raise the same questions that
> the Black Caucus was asking but that Al Gore INSISTED that no Democrat
> in the Senate support them. It seems that Gore, in an effort to show
> that he put his country ahead of partisan politics, decided to fold his
> tent after the Supreme Court decision and insisted that everyone follow
> him. The Democrats in the Senate, many of whom thought Gore employed all
> the wrong strategies in post-election Florida, nonetheless thought they
> had to show party unity in face of Gore's request.
> She sounded sincere when she said it, and I have no reason to
> doubt her.
> You may find places where she has said this publicly. It was heard
> her say it at a private, off-the-record gathering

A serious mistake by Gore which we are all paying for, just as his error in
not having Clinton in his tent.  MB