[Mb-civic] Letter

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Fri Jul 16 09:52:29 PDT 2004

Let me get this straight.  It is okay for an estimated 250,000 people to congregate on the Great Lawn in Central Park for a concert by the New York Philharmonic Orchestra, but it is not okay for 250,000 to congregate on the Great Lawn in Central Park to express their First Amendment rights of free assembly and free speech?  As one person recently remarked: "A 175-pound man on the grass is a 175-pound man on the grass."

In this regard, the City's obstinacy in not permitting the protest is flagrantly arbitrary and capricious, and is completely contrary to the spirit of the democracy we claim to hold so dear.

Rev. Ian Alterman
New York City