[Mb-civic] The Public Cost of Privatization

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 6 20:40:55 PST 2004

Published on Friday, December 3, 2004 by the Boston Globe
The Public Cost of Privatization
by Susan Jhirad
AS BIG DIG holes leak taxpayer dollars by the gallon, as Halliburton
overbills the Pentagon by millions, as Enron CEOs go to jail for
defrauding stockholders, and as HMOs provide less and less health
care for higher and higher fees, it is time to reexamine that great
myth spawned by the Reagan revolution: the myth of privatization.
For too long, Republicans have been able to promote,
unchallenged, the notion that the private sector can deliver goods
and even public services more efficiently, more cheaply, and better.
"Privatization" has meant a variety of things: from giving
corporations taxpayer money with little government oversight, as in
the Big Dig, to turning public schools into for-profit charters, to
forcing community colleges like my own to rely less on state funding
and more on private fund-raising, including raising student fees in
order to survive. Whatever its form, privatization is based on the
general concept that business is good, government is bad.
In the presidential debates, George W. Bush was proud to claim
(falsely) that Senator John Kerry wanted to impose "another big
government healthcare program, like in France or Canada." Never
mind that countries with national health plans like Canada, France,
and England, wouldn't dream of trading their free universal
coverage, with all its imperfections, for our system, where millions
lack any healthcare at all.
Never mind that Social Security is actually solvent and supporting
millions of Americans. Since President Bush is now recommending
that we privatize Social Security, we need to be clear on the
realities. Although it faces challenges from the baby boomer
generation, Social Security has always been self-sustaining and has
actually been tapped as a source of revenue for other government
programs.
Never mind that my own community college, even with slashed
funding, manages to provide a quality education, raise money, and
stay within budget. Never mind a recent federal study showing that
in Texas, 98 percent of the public schools met state performance
standards while only 66 percent of charter schools did.
"Privatization" is ideology, not fact.
Consider the Big Dig as a poster child for what happens when "big
government" steps aside. Years ago, when it was reported that
Bechtel/Parsons Brinckerhoff both executed and monitored the
preliminary design of the Big Dig, my alarm bells rang. With little
interest in reining in costs, the price of the Big Dig escalated by
billions, creating the greatest overruns in the history of US public
works. Now we hear that the project itself may be seriously flawed.
How did this occur? There may be blame enough to go around, but
let us remember, a series of Republican governors -- Weld,
Cellucci, and Swift, all firm believers in privatization -- allowed
Bechtel to run its own show. When two members of the
Massachusetts Turnpike Authority, Jordan Levy and Christy Mihos,
protested, Governor Swift moved to fire them.
In short, the Big Dig is a classic example of private corporations
abusing public funds for private profit. This occurs all the time with
military procurement. Yet now, when politicians choose to vote
against overpriced military equipment or the faulty missile defense
program, they are branded as antidefense or even unpatriotic.
We are now facing the largest deficit in our nation's history, in part
driven by tax cuts, in part by the open-ended war in Iraq. Large
corporations like Bechtel are grabbing a "piece of the pie" in what
will be a protracted, expensive task of reconstructing a country we
are spending billions to bomb. Meanwhile, our president warns that
Social Security is in trouble, and we need to "reform" it.
But in all these matters, who will pay and who will profit? Does
privatization really deliver better goods and services at lower cost, or
does it just transfer public wealth into private pockets? Are we
gradually eliminating all public services, replacing them with a
system of pay-as-you-go benefits that serve only the wealthy?
Although America is a capitalist country, we have accepted, since
the New Deal and even before, government's role in reining in
corporate excess and taking care of the needy. Most Americans
believe that Social Security, unemployment insurance, Medicare,
and child labor laws are beneficial, although all were instituted
against the opposition of big business. Now the Bush administration,
closely allied with major oil, defense, and drug companies and with
control of Congress, appears bent on privatizing the entire country.
We can only wonder, what will happen to us then?
Susan Jhirad is chairwoman of the English Department at North
Shore Community College.
              © Copyright 2004 Globe Newspaper Company.
                                 ###

--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

Action is the antidote to despair.  ----Joan Baez