[Mb-civic] Governator or con man?

ean at sbcglobal.net ean at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 4 14:20:11 PST 2004

LA Times, Friday, December 4th,
Steve Lopez:
Points West
Party Is Over on Workers' Comp

To Nancy Behravesh, Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger was a breath of
fresh air. Behravesh operates a Santa Monica preschool called Les
Enfants, and like a lot of business owners in California, her workers'
compensation bills were killing her.

That's why she was more than happy to join Schwarzenegger's
reform crusade early this year. She signed a petition supporting
workers' comp relief, and when Schwarzenegger took his bows for
getting a bill through the state Legislature, Behravesh was not
forgotten.

Just last month, a large envelope arrived at Les Enfants. Inside was
a certificate of appreciation from the Small Business Action
Committee and a color photo of a smiling Gov. Schwarzenegger.
The certificate thanked Les Enfants for teaming up with the
governor "in ending the 'Small Business Killer' laws, rules and
regulations
."

Behravesh was flattered.

Then she got another envelope. It contained her workers' comp bill,
and the party was over.

The decrease she had banked on didn't come through.

In fact, her premium went up.

Way up.

"It went from $22,000 to $32,000," Behravesh says. "I've never had
an increase like that."

When Behravesh mentioned the jump to other preschool operators,
she found that she wasn't alone.

"Mine went up $21,000," says Ellen Khokha of Santa Monica's
Growing Place.

Khokha discovered that her employees had been reclassified by her
insurance company even though they performed the same jobs this
year as they did in previous years. They went from early childhood
educators to day-care workers, a switch that put them in a higher
premium category.

Why?

"It's just part of the shenanigans the insurance companies are
pulling," says Jamie Court of the Foundation for Taxpayer and
Consumer Rights.

Insurance companies stand to save millions of dollars under the
reforms, which placed strict limits on the claims of employees
injured on the job. But the reform bill did not require the insurance
companies to pass their savings on to clients.

They're working on the honor system.

You trust them, don't you? Gov. Schwarzenegger does.

You think it could have anything to do with the fact that
Schwarzenegger — Mr. Campaign Finance Reform — has raised
insurance industry money like an Olympic panhandling champion?

The governor's haul tops $1 million and counting, about half of
which is from industry players involved in workers' compensation
reform.

Insurance Commissioner John Garamendi has called for workers'
comp premium reductions totaling 22% to match the savings by
insurers, but the insurers are in the driver's seat. They don't have to
listen to what he says.

Garamendi says insurers have dropped premiums by about 10% on
average, with huge variations based on ambiguities and quirks,
such as the reclassification of preschool workers and those in other
industries.

"There's a widespread problem of changing classifications, the
result of which is higher premiums with no real change in the risk,"
Garamendi said.

"Often it makes no sense whatsoever, and we are constantly
dealing with this issue," he added, citing an example of an
insurance company that classified secretaries as heavy equipment
operators.

Meanwhile, the California Applicants' Attorneys Assn. is charging
that as insurance company profits soar, horror stories are beginning
to surface among permanently disabled employees who are seeing
their benefits slashed. I'm already on the trail of a couple of them,
but feel free to e-mail me leads on others.

I should point out that the workers' comp fiasco isn't
Schwarzenegger's fault alone. The phony reform bill got stamped by
the Legislature, after all.

But Schwarzenegger is the one who touted the reform as if it were
the breakthrough of the century, predicting a 40% reduction in
insurance rates. Then he told Larry King the savings would be as
high as 70%, but who can blame the governor?

If I had failed to deliver on virtually all my major campaign promises,
I'd go on Larry King as often as possible. Schwarzenegger could
have said workers' comp savings were 670%, and Larry King would
have nodded like a bobblehead, even as Arnold's approval ratings
went up another notch.

Getting back to Nancy Behravesh at Les Enfants, I got hold of her
agent at NEK Insurance Inc., and he said Behravesh was wrong
about being reclassified. She was reclassified years ago. Her
premium went up because her payroll increased, the agent said.

Behravesh disputes this, saying she gave small raises to several
employees, but her payroll didn't increase enough to justify a leap
from $22,768 to $32,184.

How many injured worker claims did she have? I asked.

None.

In 15 years, she hasn't had a single claim.

Is this any way to treat someone who just got a certificate of
appreciation and a photo of Gov. Schwarzenegger for joining his
fight to slash workers' comp rates?

"I hope he can do something for me because he and his wife are
always talking about children and the family, and I'm trying to run a
business taking care of these 72 children," Behravesh told me at
Les Enfants, where tots followed her around asking for hugs.

As popular as the governor  is, maybe Behravesh can sell his photo
on EBay to help defray the devastating rate hike.

Steve Lopez can be reached at steve.lopez at latimes.com.
--
You are currently on Mha Atma's Earth Action Network email list,
option D (up to 3 emails/day).  To be removed, or to switch options

Action is the antidote to despair.  ----Joan Baez