[Mb-civic] Remembering John Lennon

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Tue Aug 31 08:14:40 PDT 2004

Cheeseburger:

Thank you for your wonderful sentiments.  I, too, was a long-time "follower"
of Lennon's.  And I, too, was living only blocks from the Dakota that night.
As soon as I heard it, I biked over furiously.  I was among the first 50
people to get there.  We were kept behind a police barricade across 72d
Street.  When I got there, the police car with John in it was just pulling
away to go to the hospital.  Chapman was sitting - hand-cuffed and virtually
surrounded by policeman - a few feet away from the entrance.  He still had
the book in his hands.  (We all know what book.)  Someone had a radio tuned
to WNEW-FM, at that time the #1 "Beatles/Lennon" station in the U.S.  They
were playing Lennon's music and Beatles music.  Less than an hour later,
when John was pronounded dead, the DJs - who were unabashedly crying -
played Imagine, All You Need Is Love and Give Peace a Chance.  As you infer,
it is a night that anyone who loved Lennon cannot possibly forget - perhaps
as vivid as knowing where you were when JFK was shot.

As you note, were John still alive, he would undoubtedly have led Sunday's
rally up to Central Park himself, and dared law enforcement to do something
about it.  He probably would have paid for a simple stage and P.A. set-up as
well.

Anyway, thank you for again for your tribute.  It may a little early (his
birthday is not until October, and the anniversary of his death in
December), but there is nothing wrong with reminiscing about him at ANY
time.

Which, among other reasons, is why I end every one of my communications
with...

Peace.