[Mb-civic] Michael to Bette

Michael Butler michael at michaelbutler.com
Mon Aug 30 16:10:41 PDT 2004

Bette,

Sorry I can't be there. You all are so lucky to have Stuart as umpire.
About the Shah, yes he went after the big landlords (really big) to bust up
and give to the peasants. At the same time he went after the Mullahs. He was
trying bring Iran into the modern world. His big mistake was going after
both at the same time. What followed with our support is worse than the
Savak.

We are going to see Iran, with its theocratic, repressive regime gain
control or great influence in Iraq. We should have made Afghanistan a
showcase and have gone from there. Greed, not only for oil, but for a
pushover success when the real challenge is Iran. American's lack patience.

You are right about education. That should take priority over all concerns.
It would pay of in everyway. Make teaching, not administrators, a highly
paid profession.

We shouldn't have illegal immigrants. They are human beings. If we need them
to do what we don't want to do they should be treated with respect.

Peace and Love,
Michael
-- The Battle
"There are two great powers and they've been fighting since time began.
Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency
we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little
increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who
want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to
obey and be humble and submit"
 "The Subtle Knife"  by Philip Pullman