[Mb-civic] Re: Vast Force Is Deployed for Security at Convention

RJ Mac nycrjmac at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 25 19:40:01 PDT 2004

>From an ant's eye view:

I walked through Penn Station this evening: it was
after rush hour, but extremely crowded.  Possibly a
third of the crowd was uniformed police.  They seem to
have replaced the less-cuddly armed military that has
been stationed there (and elsewhere throughout the
city) for the past many months.

Outside, the sidewalk alongside Penn Station is
divided by cement barricade, preventing access to Penn
Station and Madison Square Garden: the street is also
blocked off, and lined with the trailers for media
news giants.  Uniformed security is stationed all
along the barricade.

Above, a large covered walkway has been constructed
that leads from Madison Square Garden all the way down
the block to the 8th Avenue Post Office; it is
completely covered, no windows, so I'd guess it's
possible for conventioneers to come and go completely
shielded from knowledge of the world outside.

It does feel like being under the control of an
occupying army.  Quiet intimidation could really work.

Personally, I don't think absence of "terrorist
attack" will be proof these security measures
succeeded.  I think the defense against alleged
terrorist attack is really focused on local citizens.

I know GWB has pledged an unending search to rid out
all terrorists.  It somehow reminds me of OJ Simpson's
promise to find his wife's killer.  No one's been
named, but presumeably the search goes on.

* * * * * * * * * *  *

following is copy of an e-mail a playwright friend
sent out on 8/18/04:

===========================
I just answered a knock at my door.  I should say that
the buzzer system in my building is such that you can
hear anyone being buzzed in and as I hadn't heard a
buzzer I assumed it was a neighbor.  I opened the door
to a fresh faced young blond man and an equally
polished young black woman.  Coming from the Northwest
I assumed they were Mormon missionaries - although
they are in my experience very very seldom black.  I
was about to ask how they got into my building without
buzzing when they showed me ID and identified
themselves as FBI.  As some of you know I live on
Ninth Ave about four blocks north of Madison Square
Garden.  I had put a "Dump Bush" sign in my window -
as I am on the third floor front it was clearly
visible to Ninth Ave traffic - but had taken it down
this weekend because it blocked too much light and my
plants were beginning to complain.  Seems Dick & Jane
(as I affectionately call them) were offended by my
sign which I pointed out wasn't even there at the
moment.  They suggested that I not put it back up as
it presented a traffic hazard and that I could be
arrested for public endangerment.  I suggested to them
- federal agents - that they should arrest me for a
traffic nuisance and that after I would buy a drink
for one of them (the woman - not the guy who was not
my type - too white bread) to celebrate the vast sum I
would be awarded from my lawsuit.  I have never
laughed so hard in my life.  I am afraid I was a bit
rude to Dick & Jane, I was laughing too hard to be
very polite as I rather firmly shut the door in their
face.