[Mb-civic] Holy Terror Religion isn't the solution -- it's the problem

Ian ialterman at nyc.rr.com
Sun Aug 15 21:33:08 PDT 2004

While I cannot argue with the basic gist of what Harris is trying to say, he
is hopelessly confused on some points, and intellectually dishonest (if not
outright self-contradictory) on others.

Firstly, he notes a number of Old Testament passages that speak to various
issues, and relates them to Bush et al as "Judeo-Christian teachings."
Although it may be that Bush et al use these and other Old Testament
passages to support their positions, they have little to do with
"Christianity," which is based on the New Testament - not ONE passage of
which suggests anything similar to what Harris is accusing "Judeo-Christian
teaching" of.  If Bush et al understood their own faith (and religion) - and
truly followed the "person" they purport to follow: Jesus - they would know
that falling back on the Old Testament to support un-Christian positions
is...well, un-Christian.

He then comments that the Bible was written "when people thought the world
was flat," and asks: "Are its teachings applicable to the challenges we now
face as a global civilization?"  If he means Old Testament teachings, I
would say (for the most part), no, they are not applicable.  However, if he
means New Testament - i.e., Christian - teachings, I would say, absolutely
yes.  The teachings of Jesus and the apostles and disciples are as
applicable now as they were then - ESPECIALLY if we want to have this
"global civilization" live together peaceably.  After all, if everyone truly
lived the nine primary virtues of Christ - love, peace, forgiveness,
humility, compassion, patience, charity, selflessness and service - then we
WOULD all be able to live together peaceably.  And note that this does NOT
require that everyone become Christian.  Yet I don't hear Mr. Harris
applauding TRUE Christian virtues, and what the result might be if we all
practiced them.

Mr. Harris is equally dishonest about the Qu'ran.  He seems to be claiming
that he has read it.  If so, he clearly didn't understand much of it.  I,
too, have read it (three times).  And I see a book that is not that
different from the Old Testament - i.e., the latter has as much, if not
more, violence and "God-directed" war and killing than does the Qu'ran.  Yet
no one would call the Old Testament a book of violence.  Over 80% of the
Qu'ran deals with peace, compassion, brotherhood, community and other noble
(some might even add "Christian") ideals.  Yes, there is talk of "infidels"
and "jihad," but even this is misunderstood by (and/or deliberately
misinterpreted by the government and pundits for) the West.  As used in the
Qu'ran, there are three definitions of "jihad."  The PRIMARY meaning - used
about 80% of the time - is "internal struggle"; i.e., the personal struggle
that each of us goes through in trying to attain (and practice) virtue, and
"relate" to Allah.  The secondary meaning - used about 10% of the time - is
"holy war."  (The third meaning is culturally obscure and has no bearing
here.) Yet even the phrase "holy war" has two interpretations: one is a
"spiritual" war, the other a "physical" war.  Thus, even though the
secondary use of the term "jihad" means a physical "holy war," you need only
do the math to find that this meaning is applicable less than 7% of the time
throughout the entire text.  Yes, the text contains passages and teachings
that can be - and obviously have been - "hijacked" to support the narrowest
view of Islam.  However, it is not simply unfair but intellectually
dishonest to argue that the Qu'ran "teaches violence," or that it is
ultimately any better or worse than the Old Testament.

Mr. Harris then notes that there are no "Christian," "Buddhist" or "Hindu"
suicide bombers, and says that the reason for this is the difference in the
texts underlying the various faiths.  Yet the very supposition of his entire
article, as noted in the title, is that ALL religion "isn't the solution,
it's the problem."  He can't have it both ways.  Indeed, being anti-faith is
hardly the way to further the discourse he seems to feel is missing.

He then talks about issues "that lie at the heart of the Christian social
agenda."  The issues enumerated may lie at the heart of the CONSERVATIVE
Christian social agenda - i.e., the so-called "Religious Right" - but that
"religious right" does not represent the majority of Christians in the U.S.
Mr. Harris might be surprised to find that the more important issues he
notes - nuclear proliferation, climate change et al - DO "lie at the heart
of" the LARGER Christian community's social agenda.  By making no
distinction between the "religious right" and those who do not support it (a
larger number) - i.e., by lumping ALL Christians into the same pot,
regardless of what they actually believe - he again does little to help
further any possible useful discourse.

It would be disingenuous to argue that religion has not been, and does not
continue to be, a "problem" (though it could be argued that it is not
religion per se, but the way in which religious leaders interpret it, and
develop followings for their interpretations).  However, in my book, the
bigger problem is people like Mr. Harris who see this issue in black and
white, with no shades of gray: i.e., generalizing "religion" (as well as
each individual faith) so broadly that there is no room for gradations or
differences in belief.  He does as much to maintain the "status quo" of the
"us versus them" mentality vis-a-vis "religion" and faith as do those he is
accusing of the same thing.

Peace.