[Mb-civic] Blood And Oil.............

Cheeseburger maxfury at granderiver.net
Tue Aug 10 03:23:52 PDT 2004

Blood And Oil.............

http://www.ranknfile-ue.org/uen_bloodandoil.html

"To understand what’s going on in the Middle East today, we need to go back
only a hundred years."

"There was no Iraq, no Jordan, no Israel, no Lebanon."

"Powerful, industrialized European nations with empires of their own —
especially Great Britain — had a keen interest in the Middle East."

"Britain had already seized the southwestern tip of the Arabian peninsula
from the Ottoman Empire and forced the rulers of small territories along
the Persian Gulf to sign treaties placing their foreign affairs in British
hands. Britain backed Ibn Saud, whose family had been the traditional
leaders of a fundamentalist Islamic sect, in his bid to become the ruler of
a small peninsular kingdom."

"Britain’s goal was to safeguard the sea route (through the Suez Canal) to
India, then a valuable part of its worldwide empire. To head off the
Russian empire’s advances southward, Britain signed a treaty with Russia in
1907 that divided Iran (Persia) into three zones, one British, one Russian,
one neutral — without the Iranian government’s knowledge or involvement."

"Today’s British Petroleum can be traced back to the Anglo-Persian Oil Co.,
founded in 1909. The British government soon acquired a controlling
interest in the company."

"Britain and Russia (Our Pals, lol) reached a new agreement in 1915,
dividing up Iran and Turkey. Britain and France likewise made plans to
divvy up much of the Middle East between them once the war (WWI) was won."

"At the same time, Britain encouraged Arab revolts against the Ottoman
Empire with the promise that victory would lead to a united Arab nation,
reaching from the Red Sea to the Persian Gulf. And in November 1917,
British Foreign Secretary Arthur Balfour wrote to the Zionist leader Lord
Rothschild promising British government support for "the establishment in
Palestine of a National Home for the Jewish People." (The Zionist movement,
which originated in Europe, sought creation of a Jewish state.)"

"The British government had promised the same country to two nations."

"At the war’s end, private interests hopeful of exploiting the region’s oil
urged their governments to ignore war-time promises to Arab leaders. A
variety of small, divided Arab states would be much easier to maneuver into
oil deals than a large, independent Arab republic. The European powers
agreed. France assumed control of Syria and Lebanon. Britain took Palestine
and Mesopotamia. London granted local control to kings and sheiks favorable
to British interests. These arrangements were ratified by the League of
Nations; Britain’s Palestinian colony was officially a League "Mandate." "

CheeseNote:  Well, that is just a small excerpt.  Read the whole article
while you are there if you so wish.

Nice thorough "History Lesson" on how the oil industry, among other things,
in, among other places, The Middle East, was, and continues to be, built on
top of dead bodies, and who did, and is doing, the masonry work.

Too bad we still can't get things like this put on the front pages of the
NY Times, Washington Post, LA Times, Chicago Tribune, Etc.

Yeah, yeah, I know, whatever we do we wouldn't want to wake up Sleeping
Giants like America.  We'll leave those lullabic dissertations to our
Politicians who plop down in oil-rich countries then tell America they are
freeing them in the name of Jesus, Liberty, National Security, and all of
Earth's inalienable rights to live in a Justice-free environment.

"Drinks for the house....!!!!"

"What'll ya have....?"

"Whatdya got......?"

"Blood and Oil..."

"What the difference...?"

"Nothing..."

"Give me one of both, I'm driving........"

Cheeseburger

- Where has the sparrow gone now that I need its song.