[Mb-civic] EDITORIAL Read Now or Regret Later LATimes

Michael Butler michael at michaelbutler.com
Sun Aug 8 12:47:18 PDT 2004

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/editorials/la-ed-regrets8aug08,1,2341251
.story?coll=la-news-comment-editorials

EDITORIAL

Read Now or Regret Later

 August 8, 2004

 Without regret, we are compelled to comment on a new study of regrets, and
a little-known but powerful psychological concept called anticipated regret.
Who would anticipate that anticipating regret appears now to play a
substantial, invisible and apparently unnecessary role in countless everyday
American lives? Those folks opting not to read all the way down here may
regret their decision, which could have been anticipated.

 Daniel T. Gilbert of Harvard led a team of four psychologists ‹ who may or
may not regret having said some things to relatives over the years ‹ that
explored the very human emotion of regret and its widespread effects. Bear
with us here, because what makes humans so interesting is their complexity ‹
often reflected, regrettably, in complex emotions later regretted.

 It seems, according to long-established research, that most of us make many
personal and even business decisions based not so much on what we think is
the best choice, though we think we're thinking that, but on whether we
anticipate feeling regret about picking one option over another. Or not
picking an option at all.

 You may not be overjoyed to marry someone, buy that house right now, accept
a job transfer or hurriedly purchase the last item on sale. But you choose
one now anyway, fearing the bad feeling of blaming yourself later for not
choosing or choosing wrong. Getting an incorrect answer on a multiple-choice
test is disappointing; erasing a correct answer and switching to a wrong one
is regrettable. Do the words "How could I be so stupid?" ring bells? See
what we mean about complex?

 People expect to feel more regret when they fail by a narrow margin than by
a wide one, when they accept bad advice than when they reject good advice,
when they act foolishly, when their choices are unconventional and when they
learn later of alternatives they might have chosen. Ever contemplate buying
$2.14 gas now because you anticipate regrets when pumps up ahead run $2.20?
Might you feel more regret over picking losing lottery numbers than if you
let the computer pick them?

 Gilbert et al ran test scenarios and confirmed these feelings. People
thought they'd feel worse having just missed the subway than arriving
several minutes late. What researchers also found, however, was that no
matter how much regret subjects anticipated, none actually experienced
anywhere near as much as they expected. It turns out the human ability to
absolve ourselves, to rationalize quickly and to dodge blame, even from
ourselves, is quite remarkable.

 The lesson: People often make unnecessary decisions based on baseless fears
of later regrets. Gilbert suggests that people's choices may provide
"emotional insurance" they don't really need. Which we anticipate would be
regrettable.

If you want other stories on this topic, search the Archives at
latimes.com/archives.

Article licensing and reprint options

 Copyright 2004 Los Angeles Times