[Mb-civic] U.S. Military Guantanamo Kangaroo Courts Thumb Nose At Supreme Court

Cheeseburger maxfury at granderiver.net
Sat Aug 7 05:01:58 PDT 2004

U.S. Military Guantanamo Kangaroo Courts Thumb Nose At Supreme Court

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/LAW/07/30/security.guantanamo.reut/index.html

"Preliminary hearings for the first trials against terror suspects held at
Guantanamo Bay will begin next month (August, now) when an Australian and
three others go before a U.S. military judge, defense officials said on
Friday."

"Most of the 594 prisoners were captured during the U.S.-led war in
Afghanistan and have been held at Guantanamo for more than two years
without access to lawyers or courts -- a "legal black hole" deplored by
human rights groups and which many U.S. allies have angrily challenged."

"Four prisoners will be tried at the first U.S. military tribunals --
formally called commissions -- since World War II."

"During the "Combatant Status Review Tribunals," each prisoner will appear
before a panel of three U.S. military officers who will decide their fate,
and will have a chance to argue that they were wrongly detained."

(CheeseNote:  They haven't been able to "decide their guilt" for 2 years
now under torture, interrogation and isolation but 3 military jocks will be
able to suddenly stare into their crystal ball in a matter of minutes and
discover the Ultimate Truth....??    LOL....  Tragically hilarious.....)

"Human rights groups have also charged that rules for the forthcoming
military commissions are rigged to hamstring defense lawyers and produce
convictions, but the Pentagon has pledged "full and fair" trials."

"Human rights groups and lawyers who represented the prisoners before the
Supreme Court disagree. They have questioned whether the hearings could be
fair because the decision is left to the military and the prisoners have no
access to legal representation or classified documents."

"Guilty" or not, this, again, is just *part* of what comes from
*continuing* to  have an out of control Military with a Justice System
completely separate from the one the other insignificant 300 million
Americans are bound by.

"We investigate ourselves." and "Classified" has now become nothing more
than just another convenient weapon-tool for runaway totalitarian wannabes
and their servants.  Al-Qaeda or no al-Qaeda.

Such is Life and Death and Justice, American Style.

I'm so glad we continue to set such a Great Example for the rest of the
world and its beaming tyrants as to "How Things Are Done".........

Cheeseburger

- Where has the sparrow gone now that I need its song.