[Mb-civic] War Gaming Terrorism

RJ Mac nycrjmac at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 5 16:18:00 PDT 2004

War Gaming Terrorism

(Excerpts from a magazine for Muslim terrorists)

Part 1

August 1, 2004

by Tom Marzullo

http://www.mensnewsdaily.com/archive/m-n/marzullo/2004/marzullo080104.htm

This is the first part of a series of analyses that
seeks to game out potential terrorist attacks from the
terrorist point of view, using something other than
the farcical paradigms used by software engineers.  It
relies instead on the real world where unknowns and
variables abound, where cultural blindness and
differences impact greatly and human frailty is a
constant.  Where limited resources, betrayals and
impersonations are a part of the environment… an
unclean world fraught with uncertainty and risk.

We know a very great deal about the Islamists… their
culture, habits, organization, tactics, weaponry,
training… and most importantly their strategic
intent.

Al-Qaeda's al-Battar magazine is but one guide that we
will use here, as are after-actions-reports and most
importantly, an understanding of history and
unconventional warfare where ingenuity reigns and
there are seldom second chances to get away clean.
Welcome to the shadows, to the everyday world of
special operations…

What is proposed here is to game out certain basic
types of attacks and what the Islamists hope to gain
by their conduct.  It will be a scary, micro-look at
the suppurating lesions on the body politic that have,
so far, been seldom seen in our part of the world.

It is also an opportunity to do something useful about
them.

Airliners

We already know that a fully fueled airliner is a
deadly tool for martyrdom attacks despite the American
media's refusal to acknowledge the painful reality of
the aftermath.  So much the better for us to have such
willing allies as it demonstrates that Allah is on our
side.

We also know that box cutters are now an outdated
means of executing takeovers.  We also know that our
teams have already made successful dry runs in
overseas airports and have their detailed reports.

As predicted, the Transportation Safety Administration
(TSA) has effectively sealed very few of the breaches
and made sure that political correctness rules the
day.  According to the screeners, TSA's boss,
Secretary Mineta has decreed that we Middle-Eastern
males should not be targeted for extra security
awareness and instead concentrates on little old
ladies and disabled persons, while virtually ignoring
cargo aircraft.

For the purposes of this discussion we will consider
that all sufficiently large aircraft types with a full
load of fuel and cargo are targets for such a
takeover, since all that is needed is speed, mass and
fuel.

Therefore each of our Islamist operative control cells
has selected a team of five recent illegals with two
having single or multi-engine pilot qualifications
having been trained in a computer simulator and
familiarized with the targets.  Only two English
speakers will be required. The two pilots are for the
cockpit and the other three will form the assault
team.  We plan that level II ballistic vests are worn
by the team's pilots, since many American commercial
pilots are now armed with pistols.  The cargo aircraft
do not have the reinforced doors that passenger
aircraft now have.

To get the weapons for the takeover onboard the
aircraft, we plan to ship several complete sets in
readily identifiable containers with the shipper
selected so that our team can walk in 'clean' past the
gate security.  The vests have been brought in earlier
and are stashed in lockers with known combinations.
The team only needs to open the boxes to extract the
weapons required for the armed assault/takeover.

Perimeter security is established and the aircraft is
boarded and commandeered.  This is made easier by the
absence of the passengers that became so troublesome
over Pennsylvania in 2001.

The aircraft will be taxied out without the tower's
permission, if necessary and this makes little
difference as the primary and secondary targets are
local to the airport thereby removing the danger of
the plane being targeted by military aircraft of which
there are too few already airborne to provide uniform
coverage. Shoulder-launched anti-aircraft missiles
(MANPADS) are not available to airport security as
yet, so there is virtually no danger of being shot
down upon take-off.
These local targets are easily identifiable from the
air because of the large parking areas surrounding
them and by the major access roads that lead past
them.  Large shopping malls are easily identified in
this way from the air, especially in the evenings and
although they are low targets they generally present a
larger lateral profile than the strongly constructed
Pentagon did.
Taller buildings are good targets as well since
altitude is less of a concern and so these are among
the primaries for a daytime strike, if not normally
lit like office buildings typically are.

Bridges are excellent secondary targets as they are
easily identified from the air and have the added
benefit of blocking two transportation routes with a
single strike.  Dropping a bridge over major rivers
blocks barge and ship traffic.
Since all commercial and private flights are expected
to be grounded within an hour or two of the first
impact, our strikes must be carried out simultaneously
for maximum effect.

Therefore, our Islamist control cells will select at
least two teams per major airport in their assigned
area and mix the aircraft types targeted.  This is
done in the secure knowledge that if a passenger liner
is targeted, virtually all available security will be
focused on the passenger terminals nationwide within
minutes, thereby freeing the cargo aircraft areas from
response teams.

The teams selected for the sacrifice do not need a
pilot since they are expected to fail and so draw all
attention to themselves.  They are instructed to do
this by concentrating their efforts at causing
casualties in the airport, since nothing draws
American security forces faster than the fresh blood
of Infidels.

The number of illegal martyrs we have already had
brought across the borders are more than sufficient to
staff such actions at will during this first
iteration.  As borders close down, our control cell
will have to husband staff more carefully, but we do
not anticipate manpower shortages in the longer term.

This is but one type of strike to be carried out this
day as the intent is to quickly overextend the
American responders capabilities and so give us
virtually free reign.

The basic rule of warfare is that your enemy cannot be
strong everywhere… we have learned this lesson well.

God is Great…

Part 2

This is the second part of a series of analyses that
seeks to partially game out potential terrorist
attacks from the terrorist's point of view, using
realistic measures that we know or suspect are
available to them.  You see, we know a very great deal
about the Islamists… their culture, habits,
organization, tactics, weaponry, training… and most
importantly their strategic intent.  Most of this is
through their own words and from their own
publications and message traffic.
Al-Qaeda's al-Battar magazine is but one guide that we
will use here, as are after-actions-reports and most
importantly, an understanding of the history and
conduct of unconventional warfare where ingenuity
reigns and there are seldom second chances to get away
clean.

What is proposed here is to game out certain basic
types of attacks and what the Islamists hope to gain
by their conduct.  It will be a scary, micro-look at
the suppurating lesions on the body politic that have,
so far, been seldom seen in our part of the world.

It is also an opportunity to do something useful about
them.

Very Large Improvised Explosive Devices

This one is a favorite tactic within our holy legion's
armory.  It is probably the most difficult tactic to
guard against and we have had long experience with
employing this in the Middle East, Asia and in the
very belly of the beast, Israel.  Now we will use it
against the Infidel Americans.

What we intend to target informs our decision about
what kind of vehicle to steal.  As you know we have a
wide variety of targets to choose from in our area of
operations.

First we have large buildings, whether it is
commercial or government does not concern us in the
least, as it is more a matter of physical construction
of the target.  For these we want to choose an
enclosed truck of sufficient size to carry the
explosives.

Next we have area targets such a schools, inner city
walking malls and parks.  For these a tanker truck of
gasoline is one of the better choices and we can make
this even more effective by adding a thickening agent
such a soap flakes to turn the cargo into sticky
napalm.  This will give the Infidels a taste of hell
before they arrive.

Another target pleasing to Allah will be structures
such as bridges and tunnels.  Again these can be
targeted with large quantities of explosives in a
covered truck.  Detonation is best carried out after a
study of the structure itself, for instance in the
case of suspension bridges, the support towers are the
most desirable portion to destroy as the rest of the
structure will collapse of it's own accord if one or
more are taken out.

Our glorious martyr who is driving can detonate the
charges or we can detonate remotely or automatically
using a GPS device to ensure best placement of the
charge.  Our control cells have been gathering GPS
data on all structures in their operational area and
calculating the charges and placement required.  This
eases the training requirements for the martyr, as now
he knows that we will not fail him in his martyrdom.

As an adjunct to a primary explosion, we have to
option of pre-placing secondary explosives designed to
cause more casualties.  These can be triggered by a
timer or remotely as the tactical situation dictates.
Of even more benefit will be to steal or make mock-ups
of ambulances and/or police vehicles so as to get then
right into the thick of the rescuers before detonating
them.

Ambulances are especially useful in that these can be
sent to the hospital or triage area before detonating
them.

Uniforms for police, firemen and emergency personnel
are available commercially and so our control cells
have been laying in a supply so as to cloak our
martyrs until the last moment.

By using this ploy we can delay the arrival of the
rescuers at future attacks by instilling fear of
unchecked vehicles and in all cases cause additional
delays that will cause more infidels to die, Allah be
praised.

Blessed be the martyrs for they shall dwell in heaven
forever.

Tom Marzullo is a columnist/physicist/educator who is
a former US Army Special Forces combat soldier and US
Navy Submariner with special operations experience in
both services. He was the leader of the Internet-based
effort by Special Forces veterans that debunked the
false CNN/TIME magazine nerve gas story, 'Tailwind'
and has provided testimony before the US Senate on
military and intelligence matters. He resides in
Colorado.