[Mb-civic] World Stability: China To U.S.-"Taiwan Is Ours"

Cheeseburger maxfury at granderiver.net
Tue Aug 3 01:43:33 PDT 2004

World Stability:  China To U.S.-"Taiwan Is Ours"

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationworld/world/wire/sns-ap-china-us,0,4118929.story?coll=sns-ap-world-headlines

"China's No. 2 leader warned visiting U.S. senators Monday that the Beijing
government would never allow Taiwan to be independent, state television
reported."

"Wu Bangguo, who is chairman of China's legislature, said the Taiwan
question is the most sensitive issue in U.S.-China relations, the report said."

"He said Washington must abide by the one-China policy, which opposes
formal independence for the self-ruled island, it added."

"His comments followed a telephone conversation between President Hu Jintao
and President Bush Friday in which the Chinese leader voiced Beijing's
strong opposition to American weapon sales to Taiwan."

"Taiwan is considering a plan to spend $18 billion on anti-missile systems,
planes and submarines from the United States -- drawing howls of protest
from Beijing."

"The United States has no official relations with Taiwan's democratically
elected government but has strong unofficial ties and is the island's top
arms provider."

"Wu also told the senators that China's growing relationship with the
United States was in the interests of the people of both countries as well
as the stability of the world, the report on China Central Television said."

Wow, you can see this one coming a mile off...  hehe.....

I can see it now, "Made In Chaiwan".

"The stability of the world."  I like that phrase, hehe...

I'm glad so many interesting people are so concerned with it.

:|

Cheeseburger

- Where has the sparrow gone now that I need its song.